Issues with Printing Invoices and Print Designer on Frappe/ERPNext Version 15

Hi everyone,

I’m encountering several issues related to printing invoices on Frappe/ERPNext Version 15. Specifically, I’m having trouble with the following:

• Printing invoices and generating PDFs
  • Setting up Print Formats
  • The new Print Designer app

When using the default print format for Sales Orders (“Sales Order PD v2”), it’s throwing errors and failing to generate a proper output. However, when I remove this format, I’m able to view and print the PDF, but the resulting format is messy and unsuitable for my prospective clients.

The Print Designer app also has several bugs related to formatting. I’m unable to achieve the desired print output, and I can’t delete elements from the canvas. Additionally, PDF generation isn’t functioning as expected.

Here are the versions of the installed apps:

• Frappe CRM: v2.0.0-dev
  • Ecommerce Integrations: v1.17.0
  • ERPNext: v15.36.0
  • Frappe Framework: v15.41.0
  • Frappe HR: v15.29.0
  • Frappe Insights: v3.0.0
  • Payments: v0.0.1
  • Print Designer: v1.2.0 AND v1.4.2

Has anyone else encountered similar issues or found a solution? Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Is this Frappe cloud or self hosted? If self hosted, pdf problems are sometimes due to wkhtml2pdf. Check that wkhtmltopdf (version 0.12.5 with patched qt) is installed.

It is self-hosted with wkhtmltopdf 0.12.6.1 (with patched qt). I can view and print the ugly PDF format when removing the “Sales Order PD v2” from the print format input field. I installed the Print Designer App and it is full of bugs/issues. I am looking to create a custom sales order PDF template for my first client and my company too.

hi @edardev
i had a case like yours in an invoice in a custom app and as you mentioned the print_designer can’t be used it’s not ready yet, I had to create a custom print format using jinja and CSS unfortunately the bootstrap didn’t work in print format frappe v15-x-develop, also i had to set my doctype as a custom to set a default print format for it.

Yes, I agree we are on the same page. I deployed another instance with the following versions, without the Print Designer App, and it seems to be working without the issues mentioned earlier. However, I now need to find a way to customize the Print Format somehow using jinja and CSS unfortunately.

Installed Apps:

• Frappe Builder: v1.0.0-dev
  • Frappe CRM: v2.0.0-dev
  • ERPNext: v15.34.1
  • Frappe Framework: v15.40.3
  • Frappe HR: v15.28.3
  • Frappe Insights: v3.0.0
  • Payments: v0.0.1"

it’s not a big deal as it sounds but it takes time :clock1: depend on how the invoice is

@edardev i think there is misunderstanding default format is set as sales order pd v2 which is broken ( which will be fixed on next release).

you can just create format using print_designer and make it default.

even if print_designer is installed you can just set any format as default and it will not try to load sales order pd v2 format.

please share individual issue and i can help you solve them.

Thank you for sharing the issues

1 Like

would love to know more about what are the issues you faced.

1 Like

I agree that the default format for Sales Order is broken “Sales Order PD v2” in the latest release, and might be unrelated to the Print Designer app.

When trying to create a format using the Print Designer app, it’s not working either. Additionally, I cannot delete elements from the canvas while designing the format. I’ve reported the issue on GitHub, and I’d be happy to share more details about the problems I encountered. :muscle:

deleting element is fixed in develop branch. can you please check it

1 Like

Was it fixed today? I tried using the ‘develop’ branch yesterday, but it didn’t work. I also created a new custom Docker image today with the ‘main’ branch, but that didn’t work either. If it was fixed today, I’ll create another Docker image to test it. Thanks in advance!

yes it was fixed today. i need someone to check it fix works or not because it’s always worked on my setup

1 Like

Thank you!, I am going to build a new image right now and try it :rocket:

Good News First:
Yes! The delete functionality in the Print Designer App is now working as expected :raised_hands:.

Bad News Second:
However, creating a new print format with the Print Designer App is still causing issues. It’s throwing errors, and I’m unable to preview or print the file, just like what happened with the “Sales Order PD v2” on the latest versions of Frappe/ERPNext.

Installed Apps

Frappe CRM: v2.0.0-dev
Ecommerce Integrations: v1.17.0
ERPNext: v15.36.1
Frappe Framework: v15.41.0
Frappe HR: v15.29.0
Frappe Insights: v3.0.0
Payments: v0.0.1
Print Designer: v1.2.0

Why do the latest versions of ERPNext and the Print Designer app work seamlessly on Frappe Cloud for printing invoices, receipts, and custom print formats, while I encounter broken functionalities when using various versions of Frappe, ERPNext, and Print Designer including the latest and same version using different installation methods? What might I be missing?

I’m eager to contribute to the Frappe ecosystem and help improve user experience and integrations. In the meantime, I’ve found a temporary workaround to print custom invoices using the Print Designer app, while awaiting future bug fixes.

Temporary Solution:

1. Create a custom Print Format with the New Print Designer App.
  2. Select the dynamic data for a specific invoice and save it.
  3. A preview will be generated as a JPG image.
  4. Navigate to the File List, download the image, and then convert the JPG to a PDF.

This workaround can be used until the issues are addressed in upcoming releases.

I’ve installed two older versions of ERPNext as well as the latest version, and the issue with using a custom Print Format template only occurs when the Print Designer app is also installed. Additionally, when the Print Designer is installed, the default print format is set to “Sales Order PD v2,” which immediately triggers an error, even if you attempt to switch to another custom template and change the default print template too.

Without the Print Designer app, the document displays fine. However, I need a custom template for my customer, and during a demo, he specifically requested this feature. Unfortunately, the feature was broken, and the demo didn’t go as planned.