It's Time for Parcel Service Integration (UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc.)

I don’t know how many parcel service integrations are out there (I have personally talked to at least 5 people who have implemented it) but I would guess at least 20? Now we are next in line and instead of doing yet another FedEx implementation that we will keep to ourselves I propose we solve this once and for all in the core.

This must be made generic enough so other regional carriers or service providers can be implemented through configuration.

For example for us we don’t really work with those providers directly but we work with a broker that gets us better prices than we normally would. They have their own API.

My basic understanding is that we would make a delivery note and from that delivery note we can make a packing slip. If this packing slip had dimensions and weights and the relevant information regarding who the parcel service is, what the tracking number and the tracking status is this would be a good way to do it.

• Is there a better way to do this?
  • Does somebody have what they believe to be a good solution who would start a PR?
  • Would some people be willing to chip in and contract the Frappe team to get this done for us?
4 Likes

Maybe the existing work on the Fedex integration could be used as a base.

1 Like

Hello Dominik, where can I find the shipping tool? I will be interested in them for DHL and UPS.

Thanks, best regards

Check: GitHub - frappe/erpnext-shipping: A Shipping Integration for ERPNext

Hello Kennethsequeira,

thanks for your answer but i didn`t like a plattform like sendcloud or other, so i like to connect directly to our shipping parthner (DHL, UPS).

Thanks, Thomas

You can:

1. Use the same app to track the packages manually (the documents will work without an integration as well).

2. Contribute or develop an integration separately along the lines of this app.

One of the reasons for going with an integration platform rather than directly with the shipping company is that it gives the flexibility to integrate with multiple potential partners in one go rather than developing specific integrations each time.