Make a Doctype Editable on Submission

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if it is possible to submit a document and able to edit and update without the need to cancel e.g for sales invoice. In a busy firm where customers frequently request for editing of their invoices cancelling and amending, it makes the system dirty with so many cancelled invoices. Please let me know how this can be handled. Thanks

Hi there,

You can make certain individual fields editable, but you can’t make the whole doctype editable. This is especially important for documents like Sales Invoices, which have complex triggers that run on submission and cancellation.

You could mark the Document as Non Submittable but that’s not recommended and that’s not how it is intended to work.
If your only (or main) problem is “it makes the system dirty with so many cancelled invoices”, then I would rather suggest to look at the Status drop-down and the Filter button at the top of the list.
Screenshot_2023-01-16_21-04-48

If by dirty you meant storage space, then you may batch-delete the cancelled invoices:

• Filter on Status = Cancelled, select all using the checkbox at the top of the list, then select Edit.
  • On the popup, select Status and change the value to Draft.
  • Finally, filter on Status = Cancelled, select all using the checkbox at the top of the list, then select Delete and confirm.

Thanks. Would this delete transactions that have been amended? I guess that’s not possible

Yes, I agree for documents like Sales Invoice, making some field editable on submission is not a solution as once submitted if you edit a field will not reflect in the ledgers. Moreso, it does not seem to make the updates when submission when you make changes.