Material transaction flow

I’m trying to figure out real case scenario for a material transfer. The current flow works well if your warehouses are next to each other. But real case scenario, when a material transfer is requested and made, it probably has different physical locations. Thus when I do a material transfer, my source warehouse has to create some sort of delivery note with packing slip; my target warehouse has to acknowledge receipt of the items. no money exchange is needed cause it’s within the same company.

I don’t think delivery note is quite right for delivery cause it’s associated with a customer. I don’t think purchase receipt is quite right for receiving because it’s not a purchase and again money doesn’t need to be exchanged.

The other complication is that there might be shipping cost involved (if using outside shipping company). How do I add a landed cost to a material transfer?

Is there a solution to this currently? What’s the best workaround if not?

Nathan

I don’t see a transfer function. That would be good. For now, I think you have to create a warehouse called in-transit, and do an inventory adjustment in each location. I don’t see any other way, unless I am missing something. I don’t see why you couldn’t do a landed cost invoice, using the landed cost functionality and apply it to the cost of the item. But I havn’t tried it.

material transfer is under stock entry.

I’m unsure how an in-transit warehouse will help… I’m still stuck with no delivery note or packing slip and no receiving check.

I tried to create a landed cost but only I can only apply it to a purchase receipt or purchase invoice. :frowning:

Thanks for trying to help me @fblauer

OK, I see that now. How about the additional costs. in the material transfer function, below

In transit would tell you if the goods havn’t arrived at the target warehouse yet.

1 Like

huh… I didn’t see that additional cost. That is useful… It’s strange that all additional cost in erpnext doesn’t have an account that we tie it to. I would like to track the shipping separately… for example my P&L should include that additional cost…

But do you think it’s because it’s just added to the cost of item, changing the valuation rate, thus making the value of my inventory higher. I would think that this is something that should be configurable and optional depending on business needs.

I understand now about in-transit… I can see if it’s useful to ensure that everything is delivered… but most things are manual and a print out of packing slip and receiving is normally needed.

Yes, if it increases the cost of the item it goes to the balance sheet, and not the P&L. It can’t go to both places. If you treat it as an expense when you enter the purchase invoice, it will go to the PL.

but since this is a material transfer there is no purchase invoice. so I have no choice that it goes to balance sheet huh?

If you want it to go to the PL, then it has nothing to do with the item, and you would enter it as a seprate supplier invoice. Are you using perpetual or periodic inventory accounting? You might not be doing your inventory accounting properly.

Hi, exactly the scenario that our use case has too.
Did you figured any solution other than creating stock entry for in-transit warehouse and moving items from source to target ? specifically for delivery note and slip.
Thanks