My layout changed. Am I running the wrong version?

I installed the latest version a few weeks ago, the repeated the installation on another server today and see that my layout has changed. The older site had icons and the newer one not.

Am I running an incorrect version.

I needed to run the layout with the icons.

I used these instructions to install : How to Install ERPNext ERP Platform on Ubuntu Linux with Nginx - Geek Rewind

# old site
$ bench version
erpnext 12.x.x-develop
frappe 10.1.71

# new site
$ bench version
erpnext 12.x.x-develop
frappe 12.x.x-develop

the Desktop (icons) known from many previous releases of ERPNext got replaced by the look in your screenshot recently in v12 (develop branch). So from that perspective everything is as it should be.

if you update the previous installation mentioned it would change to the same UI as the new one

that depends on what you want to do.

If you want to run a production server … yes, you are running the wrong version. Develop is the bleeding edge unstable version of ERPNext. The current stable release is v11(which you get from the master branch).

this also is not good. Frappe and ERPNext should be on the same version (12, or 10 in your case and not different ones (12 & 10 in your case)

here’s a tip for any newer installations:

when making a new bench instance use this --frappe-branch to specify which branch of frappe you want. Suppose you want branch master for both frappe and erpnext. Then you execute

bench init frappe-bench --frappe-branch=master

later when trying to clone erpnext app, same can be done via this parameter called branch

bench get-app erpnext https://github.com/frappe/erpnext --branch master

Now you got to decide what branch you wish to stay on. If you want version 10 then branch is v10.x.x if you want version 11 it is now on master

3 Likes

I managed to solve this using a hackish solution suggested in this linked post. (It took me 30 minutes to figure I should stop the site first before issuing the rm command. I deleted the file it it would be right there again. I thought I was going crazy),