I have a use case where I ship a delicate piece of equipment to a customer and I need to get the shipping crate back from them. In this case the custom shipping crate is almost of equal value as the contents of the crate.
I need to get the crates back because they take a long time to custom build, they are expensive, and they can be shipped many times.
Any Idea how I would setup something like this in ERPNext (I am using v13)?
- I would identify each crate with it’s own identification (serial #, asset #, whatever) so I can keep track of them (at least I hope I can).
- I need to find a way to track which crates are in the warehouse and which crates are still out (not yet returned) with a shipment.
- I would also want to know exactly where I shipped any given serial numbered crate.
- After 20 round trip shipments the crate can be retired and a new serial numbered crate will be built to replace it.
- It would also be a good idea to have a mechanism for figuring out which crates are over due for return so I can have my admin team making phone calls to get them picked up.
Has anyone done anything remotely similar? Should the crates be company assets? If so how would I assign the assets to a shipment for a fixed period of time?
I would love to hear how you configured your returnable items, crates, or containers and then tracked them.
I need to find a path through ERPNext to make this work.