Notifications for Emails received

Goal is to be notified when an email from a contact is received in erpnext. Email account has already been properly set up for sending and receiving. Just using one email account.

Understand that we can review all the emails in the Email Queue report/list, but this is mainly for reporting/back-checking.

Also understand that we can configure the email account to append to a specific doctype; in this case we use ISSUES. We have also set a reminder email to go out after X minutes in case the ISSUE is not replied to within the threshold time.

Question: is there a way to configure emails such that they always notify the users when an email is received regardless of doctype?

Similarly, I’m also try to understand how the logic works.

If I as the user sends out an email from an ERPNext doctype, which then gets an email response, the email response is added to the email thread in that doctype and I am notified by email. Other users registered on that ERPNext instance does not get it.

Another user who does this gets the same experience, i.e. she sends an email from erpnext doctype, and gets an email response, which is then added to the email thread in the doctype and is also notified by email by erpnext.

Can someone expound the logic/rationale here? Would like to learn more.

I’m referring to this option under Email Account:

Hey @laurence!

Fellow ERPNext self hosted user and tech enthusiast here!

Can someone expound the logic/rationale here? Would like to learn more.

The simple rationale I can figure out is that the feature exists to increase a user’s efficiency and ensure they don’t miss replying back to an email response they got. So, instead of a manager etc having to follow up, the system follows up with you.

Other users registered on that ERPNext instance does not get it.

To explain this, let me take a quick example. Say, Laurence (you) is a sales guy and he sends out emails to a few leads. You get responses from a couple of them. While responding to the first one, you forget all about the other one.
Now, I am sure you wouldn’t want the other sales guys or other users to get notifications about the other lead you missed to reply back again, would you? :zipper_mouth_face:

Hope it makes better sense. Feel free to ask away more. Stay Safe, Stay Blessed :pray:

-Shubham

Yes that makes sense. And I think that’s the experience we’re getting as well.

However, it seems inconsistent as we’re not always getting timely alerts; sometimes they come in very late as described here or never at all.

1 Like