Please stop showing release notes to ALL users!

You can always hide all these modules from the user in the user settings.

@f_deryckel a hectic task if you have numerous users to manage. It will be a lot easier if the modules are hidden automatically based on user permissions as I think it was in v11 and earlier

Agree completely.

+1 …

+1… much needed

Our user base don’t mind this at all. They understand the nature of the project, and how updates work (and they are not technical people at all).

Taste is a relative thing, starting to brand the user experience as horrible and the worst problem frankly shows a gross under appreciation for the project. For goodness sake, if you don’t like it, change the code, or pay someone to do it, or submit a report, as @wale has done. The devs should not pander to your whims and fancies at a moments notice.

2 Likes

+1 Fully Agree!

@crafter and your point is ?

Over the years ERPNext has become what it is not just because of the considerable efforts of the programming team, but also the persistent feedback from the end users.

This feedback have always been presented in this format. No one is asking for pandering, this is feedback plain and simple. The core team can choose to evaluate it and take a decision.

Your comment is a bit …weird.

Olamide

2 Likes

For reals…

We’re deploying ERPNext for a client in Mongolia, and every time there’s an update they’re like “What does accounting fix” mean in Mongolian…? What does “HR fix” mean in Mongolian…?

Best we’re doing is “it’s a dev-talk, don’t worry about it” lol.

1 Like

If a project like ERPNext has to succeed, it needs to engage with users more and make them aware of the open-source origins of the project.

When users are more empowered to raise issues, some of them may feel it worth their time to contribute to ERPNext by pushing a fix. The release notes are a good way to remind the users of the natures of the system.

However if it is very important to some users, there can be setting which disables this notifications for all users.

4 Likes

Hi @dhananjay

I’d have to disagree. Reminding users of the Open Source origins of the project has nothing to do with showing them Release Notes of stuff they have no business with! It only causes unnecessary distractions and a not-very-nice user experience. If however, there’s a switch provided, users can decide if they want to keep this funny behavior or not

Kind regards,

2 Likes

Lol! That’s funny

We are using the changelog function in our apps and we need the changelog to be shown to all users. If this behavior change, at least it should an opt-out options for the users.

Hi @f_deryckel

This is not feasible at all… especially when you have lots of users. You have to check each user’s roles and figure out which modules they should see based on each role. You then have to manually make adjustments whenever roles are added or removed! Imagine you have 60 users (many actually have lots more), how would this be managed effectively?

Also, this doesn’t solve the issue of shortcuts (dropdown on cards) showing stuff the user doesn’t have permissions for. All these filters really should be dynamic like we had in previous versions

Kind regards,

Okay… I like the idea of being notified about changes so that I or others might be prompted to add to the code-base for upgrades or fixes.

However, that kind of attention is typically only relevant to “System” level users or “Administrators”

It is when these same notifications are presented to the lowest wage earner in the organization that may be counting stock in the warehouse or restocking shelves in the store, that is when these notices cause alarm and actually intimidate the end user because they are afraid to make a mistake by simply clearing a message that they cannot or do not understand.

These lower level users actually stop what they are doing and seek guidance from other authorities before they will even clear the message! This not only impacts the workflow of the business but causes lost revenue due to the worker being sent off on a tangent simply because they are afraid to make an uninformed mistake.

Setting levels for allowing the system update messages is the smarter approach. I have had to completely disable them in my client sites manually in order to keep them as clients. Not that long ago I lost potential business when I setup a demo site for a selected group of prospects to test the user interface and evaluate the usefulness of ERPNext to their businesses. The complaint they voiced was the irritating number of update notices they were receiving. It was also the first factor (and sometimes the ONLY factor) they would list in their review as a reason to seek alternative ERP systems and resources.

Again, my personal experiences and my personal opinions here.

And as always… Your mileage may vary :sunglasses:

BKM

4 Likes

@bkm remind me again how you disabled them? I know you brought it up some months ago and someone gave you a way out. I was not listening then because it was not a major issue for me …then…now it has become a very major irritant especially since upgrading to v12 for most of my clients is not an option, so the nag simple will not go away

How did you do this ?

Here is a link to the post I created about this last year. I edited the post to include the link to the solution. Please read it carefully before you attempt the fix.

Hope this helps.

BKM

2 Likes

My point @olamide_shodunke is quite clear. Take the time to read my post again. If you want it your way, either submit s bug report, change it yourself, or hire someone.

I have no issues with the notice being displayed, so you see, it is all relative.

So discussing the issue on discuss.erpnext is not an option?

Do you know how many issues are raised in discuss and the solutions are found on discuss? Or turn out not to be issues after spirited discussion on discuss? Or are brought effectively to the attention of the development team on discuss? Or are brought to the attention of the general public for discussion by the development team on discuss?

Please do not hamper discussions of important discuss on discuss. (Hope you see what i did there)

Olamide

1 Like

I never said do not discuss the issue, but raising the issues as a rant is totally uncalled for. Language is important, and I took pain to stress that in my initial response.

Again, pointing to my initial response, I outlined the options available to users of the system. While there were some who contributed to the topic by offering solutions and ways forward, there were some that went ahead and started branding something as horrible and thus not giving the benefit of the doubt to those who accept or are indifferent to the feature. So for the third time in this thread I am pointing out that everything is relative.

Let’s engage, but do so constructively.