Product with high variants in sizes and finishes

Hi

We are a stone trading and processing company. We buy stone slabs in lots. One lot might consist of 15 to 20 slabs. Though the stone in lot is similar in its properties like colour, hardness, thickness etc., there could be different dimension for each slab in the lot. Lets say slab number 1 is 48"x72", slab number 2 is 50"x84" and so on. How possibly can we manage such high variations in sizes in items. I have read a post where it was suggested that unique items be created for each item. Say a red shirt should be different from a green shirt even though the size is same. This may not be applicable in an item like stone. I believe that even industries which deal in items like sheet metals etc may be facing the same problem. Besides, I don’t see any place to enter the dimensions of the item.

Another problem is the thickness and finishes of the stone. Same stone might be available in various thicknesses, finishes. When combined with variations in sizes, this may create n number of combinations for which it might not be practically possible to create n number of items. 

How do we handle such a situation.

Satish Gupta

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ERPNext User's Forum" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Satish,

One option is that you can create custom fields, but that way you will not get good profitability analysis. Also how will you keep stock? You will never know which size is in stock.

If each of the pieces has high value, I would recommend either separate Item Codes or serial numbers.

In ERPNext you can use the "copy" feature to make new Item Codes. Its not as hard as it sounds. Would be happy to hear other suggestions.

best,
Rushabh

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 10:27 AM, Satish <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi

We are a stone trading and processing company. We buy stone slabs in lots. One lot might consist of 15 to 20 slabs. Though the stone in lot is similar in its properties like colour, hardness, thickness etc., there could be different dimension for each slab in the lot. Lets say slab number 1 is 48"x72", slab number 2 is 50"x84" and so on. How possibly can we manage such high variations in sizes in items. I have read a post where it was suggested that unique items be created for each item. Say a red shirt should be different from a green shirt even though the size is same. This may not be applicable in an item like stone. I believe that even industries which deal in items like sheet metals etc may be facing the same problem. Besides, I don't see any place to enter the dimensions of the item.

Another problem is the thickness and finishes of the stone. Same stone might be available in various thicknesses, finishes. When combined with variations in sizes, this may create n number of combinations for which it might not be practically possible to create n number of items.

Satish Gupta

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ERPNext User's Forum" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

Dear Satish,

Each item that is qualitatively different should be a separate item code, as it helps you analyze and track sales and profitability. In your case, finishes of the stone is a clear qualitative differentiator. Thickness may or may not be so, which depends on your considering thickness as part of stones dimensions or its quality.

How do you measure stones which you buy and sell? By dimensions or by weight?

You can create custom fields to keep track of dimensions or specify dimensions in the description of the transaction. 

Thanks,
Anand.

On 12-Apr-2013, at 10:27 AM, Satish <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi

We are a stone trading and processing company. We buy stone slabs in lots. One lot might consist of 15 to 20 slabs. Though the stone in lot is similar in its properties like colour, hardness, thickness etc., there could be different dimension for each slab in the lot. Lets say slab number 1 is 48"x72", slab number 2 is 50"x84" and so on. How possibly can we manage such high variations in sizes in items. I have read a post where it was suggested that unique items be created for each item. Say a red shirt should be different from a green shirt even though the size is same. This may not be applicable in an item like stone. I believe that even industries which deal in items like sheet metals etc may be facing the same problem. Besides, I don't see any place to enter the dimensions of the item.

Satish Gupta

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

Dear Satish,

Going by what you said let us analyse this problem. I would recommend giving it a good thought for this is going to be something that you would be using for a long time any haste in deciding the defining fields would later lead to a lot of problem.

Now coming back to the defining fields for the stones:

1. Material : Granite/ Marble etc
  2. Color: White/ Red/Green/Black etc
  3. hardness: Shore hardness?
  4. Thickness: in mm (Float or Int) (Use mm instead of inches this is easier)
  5. Width : again use mm (Float or Int)
  6. Length : agains use mm (float or int)

Now if there are other fields as well then do add the fields in the system by using the custom fields. The type of field has been mentioned. Now once the fields are defined you could make them as mandatory and then make a naming series where you would define all sizes and when a new size comes you can just copy an existing item code.

Suggested naming convention for your item or stones would be G-WH-H-0000-0000-0000 where:

• G= Granite (Material)
  • WH = White (Color)
  • H = Hardness (define hardness in ranges)
  • 0000 = Thickness, width and length (You could have less fields)

Though I would like to inform you that if you are thinking of getting away with making item codes then take my word for it and that is there is no running away from that, I myself have been finding a way to get away from this thing but now I am reconciled to the fact that we need to make item code.

On Friday, April 12, 2013 10:27:59 AM UTC+5:30, Satish wrote:
Hi

We are a stone trading and processing company. We buy stone slabs in lots. One lot might consist of 15 to 20 slabs. Though the stone in lot is similar in its properties like colour, hardness, thickness etc., there could be different dimension for each slab in the lot. Lets say slab number 1 is 48"x72", slab number 2 is 50"x84" and so on. How possibly can we manage such high variations in sizes in items. I have read a post where it was suggested that unique items be created for each item. Say a red shirt should be different from a green shirt even though the size is same. This may not be applicable in an item like stone. I believe that even industries which deal in items like sheet metals etc may be facing the same problem. Besides, I don’t see any place to enter the dimensions of the item.

Satish Gupta

Thanks for the quick reply.
Stone, at our position in the value chain, is normally bought and sold by dimensions and area. So lets say a buyer demands stone, they would specify the following:
1. Total quantity they want in sq.ft. or sq.mtr.
2. Size of each slab or tile in  LxB in inches/feet and thickness in mm/cm
3. Finish

Agreed that finish is a qualitative aspect and needs to be defined as a separate item for the same stone. If we define thickness also as one of the quality, then with 6 finishes and 6 different thicknesses, there would be effectively 36 combinations for a single type of stone. Besides, finishes could be combined which again increases the number of combinations.

Creating custom fields could partly be the answer. But these fields can’t definitely be part of Items. These have to be in purchases and sales. But then the items won’t be traceable in stock with dimensions and finishes.

Satish Gupta

On Friday, 12 April 2013 10:43:06 UTC+5:30, Anand Doshi wrote:

Dear Satish,

Each item that is qualitatively different should be a separate item code, as it helps you analyze and track sales and profitability. In your case, finishes of the stone is a clear qualitative differentiator. Thickness may or may not be so, which depends on your considering thickness as part of stones dimensions or its quality.

You can create custom fields to keep track of dimensions or specify dimensions in the description of the transaction. 

Thanks,
Anand.

On 12-Apr-2013, at 10:27 AM, Satish <sa…@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi

Satish Gupta

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

Hi Satish,

The best way forward for you would be to import all possible combination of items. (to speedily setup your item master)

You will need to use meaningful item codes, as Aditya pointed out, using finish, thickness, type of stone, etc.
Also, if you have specific/discrete stone sizes, you should codify them too.

Else, you can keep stock using a compound unit of measurement like Sq. Units. Suppose you are selling 10 stones with dimensions 10 by 5, then you are selling 500 Sq. Units. However, you will lose on precision of the available pieces of a particular dimension. Hence we are insisting on codifying all possible combinations of an item.

To reduce errors and speed up item search, you could also make use of barcodes.

Thanks,
Anand.

On 12-Apr-2013, at 1:08 PM, Satish <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

Stone, at our position in the value chain, is normally bought and sold by dimensions and area. So lets say a buyer demands stone, they would specify the following:
3. Finish

Agreed that finish is a qualitative aspect and needs to be defined as a separate item for the same stone. If we define thickness also as one of the quality, then with 6 finishes and 6 different thicknesses, there would be effectively 36 combinations for a single type of stone. Besides, finishes could be combined which again increases the number of combinations.

Creating custom fields could partly be the answer. But these fields can't definitely be part of Items. These have to be in purchases and sales. But then the items won't be traceable in stock with dimensions and finishes.

Satish Gupta

Dear Satish,

Thanks,
Anand.

On 12-Apr-2013, at 10:27 AM, Satish <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi

Satish Gupta

Thanks Addy and Anand for the quick help. I will give it a thought and try and implement the suggestions you have given.

Satish Gupta

On Friday, 12 April 2013 13:21:36 UTC+5:30, Anand Doshi wrote:

Hi Satish,

The best way forward for you would be to import all possible combination of items. (to speedily setup your item master)

You will need to use meaningful item codes, as Aditya pointed out, using finish, thickness, type of stone, etc.
Also, if you have specific/discrete stone sizes, you should codify them too.

Else, you can keep stock using a compound unit of measurement like Sq. Units. Suppose you are selling 10 stones with dimensions 10 by 5, then you are selling 500 Sq. Units. However, you will lose on precision of the available pieces of a particular dimension. Hence we are insisting on codifying all possible combinations of an item.

To reduce errors and speed up item search, you could also make use of barcodes.

Thanks,
Anand.

On 12-Apr-2013, at 1:08 PM, Satish <sa…@gmail.com> wrote:

3. Finish

Creating custom fields could partly be the answer. But these fields can’t definitely be part of Items. These have to be in purchases and sales. But then the items won’t be traceable in stock with dimensions and finishes.

Satish Gupta

Dear Satish,

Thanks,
Anand.

On 12-Apr-2013, at 10:27 AM, Satish <sa…@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi

Satish Gupta