Redis licensing change

Just wondering if Redis no longer being open source will have any impact on Frappe/ERPNext:

From the FAQ on the page you referenced:

Who is impacted by this change?
Organizations providing competitive offerings to Redis will no longer be permitted to use new versions of the source code of Redis free of charge under either of the dual licenses.

I guess ERPNext cannot be considered a competitive offering to Redis.

If you are building a solution that leverages Redis, but does not specifically compete with Redis itself, there is no impact.

9 Likes

But given the fact that Redis no longer uses an open-source license (neither RSALv2 or SSPL are considered open source by OSI), maybe it makes sense to look at other options?

Some of the original maintainers of Redis have already started a new fork, keeping it under the previous BSD open source license:

Otherwise, Frappe & ERPNext would have non-open-source dependencies (Redis).

1 Like

Looks like the open-source fork of Redis has been named ‘Valkey’ and is supported by several industry heavyweights: Linux Foundation, AWS, Google, Oracle, etc.

Seems like Frappe should migrate from Redis to Valkey, to maintain its open-source base.

Here’s the story:

It’s sad to see people moving away from an open source software just because the company developing it tries to defend itself against AWS and Google stealing most of the profits from their software.

3 Likes

I don’t see any problem with the license change, as I think it is ethically wrong to profit off of a software by utilising its source code to provide services that the original source code already provides.

Although, I’m not sure on reverse engineering a completely new source code for a similar service, which I think should be fair. But then again, you’d have never done it without access to the source code in the first place, so this might be kind of a gray area I guess?

1 Like

This should definitely be studied by an attorney in more detail!!

Is everyon here sure that not everyone offering a software (frappe) based on redis to customers as hosted service will have a problem, with the new license!

The license says:

“You may not make the functionality of the Software or a Modified version available to third parties as a service or distribute the Software or a Modified version in a manner that makes the functionality of the Software available to third parties.”

Only an attorney will tell you if “making frappe available” does indirectly include making the functionality of redis available, which would not be allowed…

Best regards
DoCa

@doca there are multiple forks now, we can switch to one of them.

valkey seems promising. GitHub - valkey-io/valkey: A new project to resume development on the formerly open-source Redis project. We're calling it Valkey, since it's a twist on the key-value datastore.

We’ll mostly switch starting from v16.

As of now unless you use latest version you’re not affected at all because licensing change is not retrospective.

BTW we still recommend Redis 6 only: Installation