Remote lookup field

In Frappe, I’m creating custom scripts (client or server) for each doctype. However, I want to implement a remote lookup field with the flexibility to specify the URL, method, headers, etc., and fetch specific fields from the response.

bascially

I want to implement a customizable remote lookup field in Frappe, allowing specification of URL, method, headers, etc., and fetching specific fields from the response.

Reference:

Can we call the server side script directly without specifying it in the doctype/api.py ?

basically,

can I implement this in client side script where fetch_states is the server-script on doctype core user without having to each time whitelist the method and trigger directly.

frappe.call({
            method: 'frappe.core.doctype.server_script.fetch_states',
            callback: function(response) {
                var states = response.message;
                // Set the options for the `user_state` select field
                frm.set_df_property("user_state", "options", states);
            }
        });

I think, No, you cannot directly implement this in a client-side script where fetch_states is a server script on the doctype core user without having to whitelist the method each time. You must explicitly whitelist server-side functions to make them accessible from client-side scripts.

Thanks for the confirmation.

@NCP as per your first answer, its again dependent on the server and client-side scripts. Is there any generic remote lookup component available now/in future for use.

Also, can I use the custom-field to accomplish the above task(s) ?

@NCP This will not work for core doctype or on any doctype