Sales Invoice Numbers

First of all let me thank everybody for the prompt action & interaction in clearing doubts, as you are aware that we are new to this system.Anyway this forum seems to be a best starter to make the new user a very user friendly one. Once again thanking everybody.

Well! the  current clarification is, in a sales invoice the number customization should be user given in both Invoice printout & sales report.This is especially required when we are deleting,amending or editing a sales bill.

Hi,

As I understand from your message, you want the Invoice Number to be editable.

If this is the case, I believe many companies are using the system without such a need arising. None of our other customers have asked for this.

If more customers ask for this feature, we can put it on priority.
I would recommend that you add this feature request on our github issues list, here: https://github.com/webnotes/erpnext/issues

Please try to put as much detailed description as possible.

Thanks,
Anand Doshi
Developer, ERPNext

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 6:55 PM, Venkat <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

First of all let me thank everybody for the prompt action & interaction in clearing doubts, as you are aware that we are new to this system.Anyway this forum seems to be a best starter to make the new user a very user friendly one. Once again thanking everybody.

Well! the current clarification is, in a sales invoice the number customization should be user given in both Invoice printout & sales report.This is especially required when we are deleting,amending or editing a sales bill.

I don’t think giving the rights to change the invoice number is a good idea since many departments of the government want that once an Invoice has been generated its invoice number should not be changed so that there is no chance of a person making a duplicate invoice of the same number with different amounts. 

On Wednesday, March 14, 2012 7:15:23 PM UTC+5:30, Anand Doshi wrote:
Hi,

If this is the case, I believe many companies are using the system without such a need arising. None of our other customers have asked for this.

I would recommend that you add this feature request on our github issues list, here: https://github.com/webnotes/erpnext/issues

Thanks,
Anand Doshi
Developer, ERPNext

Well! the  current clarification is, in a sales invoice the number customization should be user given in both Invoice printout & sales report.This is especially required when we are deleting,amending or editing a sales bill.

Hi aditya,
I fully agree with you.. The current setup with flexibility to set up series n prefix and thereafter system generated doc number ideal be it So, dn, or most importantly DN

Regards,
Mahesh 

On 14-Mar-2012, at 8:42 PM, Addy <ad...@gmail.com> wrote:

I don't think giving the rights to change the invoice number is a good idea since many departments of the government want that once an Invoice has been generated its invoice number should not be changed so that there is no chance of a person making a duplicate invoice of the same number with different amounts. 

Hi,

Thanks,
Anand Doshi
Developer, ERPNext

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 12:15 AM, Mahesh <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi aditya,
I fully agree with you.. The current setup with flexibility to set up series n prefix and thereafter system generated doc number ideal be it So, dn, or most importantly DN

Regards,
Mahesh

I don't think giving the rights to change the invoice number is a good idea since many departments of the government want that once an Invoice has been generated its invoice number should not be changed so that there is no chance of a person making a duplicate invoice of the same number with different amounts.

Hi,

Thanks,
Anand Doshi
Developer, ERPNext

Well! the current clarification is, in a sales invoice the number customization should be user given in both Invoice printout & sales report.This is especially required when we are deleting,amending or editing a sales bill.

--
Thanks and regards.

R Venkitachalam
Maithri Combines
3rd Floor, Kalyan Chambers
Chittoor Road, Ernakulam South
Cochin - 682016
Tel: +914842375-407/444,+ 919447122514
E mail: ma...@gmail.com

Correction in Invoice doesn't imply correcting the number or duplicating another Invoice after submitting it.
An Invoice may be edited,amended or even corrected during the course of submission.At times the invoice may be cancelledto generate a new one.It is in this context that a cancelled bill should leave the number counter unaffected especially in the Printed Report.

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:20 AM, Venkitachalam R <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi aditya,

Regards,
Mahesh

Hi,

Thanks,
Anand Doshi
Developer, ERPNext

--
Thanks and regards.

R Venkitachalam
Maithri Combines
Cochin - 682016

--
Thanks and regards.

R Venkitachalam
Maithri Combines
Cochin - 682016

Hi, Venkitachalam

I understand that If the Invoice is cancelled, it should allow to "utilize" that generated Invoice Number to some other party ?
The Number Counter should not come one step backward. That will totally defeat the purpose of secure procedure driven user-manager authentication based protocol & flow of responsibility and authority accross a organization where Users are considered to abuse / malpractice with the system. I think, by default what the current reports generate if it includes "status" it will surely display an "invoices made" list with "submitted", "draft" or "cancelled"

May I know if there is still a scenario of editing invoice numbers ?

Regards,
Mahesh

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 1:03 PM, Venkitachalam R <ma…@gmail.com> wrote:

Correction in Invoice doesn't imply correcting the number or duplicating another Invoice after submitting it.
An Invoice may be edited,amended or even corrected during the course of submission.At times the invoice may be cancelledto generate a new one.It is in this context that a cancelled bill should leave the number counter unaffected especially in the Printed Report.

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:20 AM, Venkitachalam R <ma…@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi aditya,

Regards,
Mahesh

Hi,

Thanks,
Anand Doshi
Developer, ERPNext

--
Thanks and regards.

R Venkitachalam
Maithri Combines
Cochin - 682016

--
Thanks and regards.

R Venkitachalam
Maithri Combines
Cochin - 682016

E mail: ma…@gmail.com

Dear Mahesh,

The Point is in the event of cancellation/deletion of an Invoice, another amended Invoice substitutes without undergoing a change in the number.The Visible number in the print format should be serially ascending or descending sequence after the manual correction.

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Mahesh <ma...@maheshengg.com> wrote:
Hi, Venkitachalam

I understand that If the Invoice is cancelled, it should allow to "utilize" that generated Invoice Number to some other party ?
The Number Counter should not come one step backward. That will totally defeat the purpose of secure procedure driven user-manager authentication based protocol & flow of responsibility and authority accross a organization where Users are considered to abuse / malpractice with the system. I think, by default what the current reports generate if it includes "status" it will surely display an "invoices made" list with "submitted", "draft" or "cancelled"

Regards,
Mahesh

Hi aditya,

Regards,
Mahesh

Hi,

Thanks,
Anand Doshi
Developer, ERPNext

--
Thanks and regards.

R Venkitachalam
Maithri Combines
Cochin - 682016

--
Thanks and regards.

R Venkitachalam
Maithri Combines
Cochin - 682016

E mail: ma…@gmail.com

--
Thanks and regards.

R Venkitachalam
Maithri Combines
Cochin - 682016

Hi Venkitachalam,

One solution I can think of is

1. Create a custom field - Invoice Number (check "allow on submit" - so you can change it after submitting)
2. In the print format HTML, where ever it shows doc.name, change it to "doc.invoice_number" so that your invoice number will be printed.

I think this should do the trick. In the long run though its best to have the amendment id printed so that when someone comes back with the invoice you are aware what were the final terms negotiated and both of you are not referring different versions of the same invoice.

best,
Rushabh

-----------------------------------------------------
ERPNext - Business Operating System

W: https://erpnext.com
T: @rushabh_mehta

On 15-Mar-2012, at 2:08 PM, Venkitachalam R wrote:

Dear Mahesh,

The Point is in the event of cancellation/deletion of an Invoice, another amended Invoice substitutes without undergoing a change in the number.The Visible number in the print format should be serially ascending or descending sequence after the manual correction.

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Mahesh <ma...@maheshengg.com> wrote:
Hi, Venkitachalam

Regards,
Mahesh

Hi aditya,

Regards,
Mahesh 

Hi,

Thanks,
Anand Doshi
Developer, ERPNext

--
Thanks and regards.

R Venkitachalam
Maithri Combines
Cochin - 682016

--
Thanks and regards.

R Venkitachalam