Serial No in Installation Note

I am currently evaluating ErpNext for a customer. For this customer it is important to follow purchased and manufactured goods to the installation site of the customer, identified by their serial no. A customer can have multiple installation sites.

So far I have managed to route serials from the purchase order through the delivery note. By FIFO, delivery note will pick serials out of the purchased pool which is fine. Of course I need to print the serials on the delivery note doc and/or the pick list.

But I do not get the serials automatically into the installation note when I reference delivery note items. Even worse, when I want to submit the installation note, the system complains that the item is missing a serial. So I had to create a new Serial/Batch bundle or something but that’s not the purpose I think as I have my itemized serial already

My question:

• Am I just missing something?
  • Can or has that to be customized in the code and if so, where?

At the end I need a digest that shows me a customer’s site (address) with all installed items and their serial. But that should be doable by a report.

Thanks
This is my very first post here, I hope it’s okay

Hi @kaimoeller,

In version 14, if you make a Delivery Note and later create an installation note, the serial number will be automatically taken from the Delivery Note. Additionally, if the item has serial numbers, it is required because the Installed Quantity in the Delivery Note will be updated based on the serial number.

Please check the video.

I hope this helps.

Thank You!

Hi NCP,
Thanks a lot for the quick response.

So, I am using 15.10.6. The related item screens for serials are different. That large memo text field in your video that contains the serial numbers still exists in the database, but remains empty as far as I can tell. Found that out when I modified the report.

Here are screenshots from the current version:

I read some other posts about issues with serial numbers. Looks like there was a significant change in serial number handling that is not yet stable?

I am a new user and have to make another post for the second screenshot :frowning:

Hi @kaimoeller,

I think, you have a check the Serial No documentation.

More reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDbI8OuTinQ

Thank You!

Thanks for the response @NCP
But I think the two linked documents do not apply to my use case.

The video is interesting but it covers generated serial numbers. My use case is bying items from a manufacturer that come with their own set of numbers. It should not make a difference though.

Also the video used the serial number handling from previous versions. My screen shots show version 15.

I’d gladly more details or screenshots.

Thanks
Kai