Single doctype multiple forms

I created a doc type called service notes as a child table with customer. I would also like to create service notes without using the customer table. can i create different views for the form one that can not be a child table and one that can entered inside the the entered in customer table?

Currently it is not possible out of the box.

I have the similar problem. From what Dan and Nabinhait are saying, it looks like the table names and document types are directly linked objects. Is there a way to get access to this data programatically from another view. Either through java script or queries? I’m still fairly new with ERPNext are there any examples of how to do this customization? I’d imagine people run into this problem alot when they are new to designing with ERPNext. How would you work around this Nabinhait?

Thanks,
Alex

Thanks for looking, I ended up updated the customer_dashboard.py file and added a link. This way we can update service notes from the customer screen.

1 Like

Thanks that worked for me as well. Dan are you a consultant with this kind of work?

Thanks,
Alex

Will you be able to share screenshot of what was used? I would like to understand if the requirement you had is similar to mine. I would like to have the same Child Table DocType be viewed in a different manner by another user group.

Besides the dashboard route (which is the easiest and a good one if linking data is the only requirement) there are two other options, neither of which is “simple” but may make sense:
You can gather the children from doctype A and populate children in doctype B onload. This can be done in a custom script if that is a requirement, but honestly, I think it’s a little messy.
If your requirement is view-only and you would send the user to doctype A to edit the data anyway, an HTML table showing the information could also work. This is not stateful data - render_template only knows what you tell it - so this solution has flaws too.
Synchronizing the data across two views would almost definitely require server side code to push the changes back and forth. I’d say there would have to be a powerful use case to make this worth the effort but it could be done.

I ended up just adding the forms as part of the dashboard. you might want to look at the using permission level on the field.

https://erpnext.org/docs/user/manual/en/setting-up/articles/managing-perm-level

i never used it but it might work.