Subcontracted Item Auto Generation

Hello,

I have a feature request that would really help us out in our particular situation. We work with a lot of subcontracted items; most of our products are machined aluminum which is then sent out to another contractor for anodizing. We currently follow all of the steps presented in the user guide, roughly following these steps:

1) Create the unprocessed item
2) Create the processed item
3) Create a BOM for the processed item, including on it 1 unprocessed item

This is something we have to repeat a lot, and it leads to a lot of clicking in and out of the item and BOM list. It would be nice if we could:

1) Create the processed item (e.g. Part1000). During creation, we select that it is a subcontracted item. This reveals a new button.
2) Clicking this button would auto-generate the unprocessed item by copying the processed item and then augmenting it's item code and description (e.g. Part1000 - Unprocessed) and changing it to a non-subcontracted item. It would also generate the bill of materials.

It would be okay if we had to go back and change some of the details on the unprocessed item (e.g. default warehouse, default supplier, etc.). Just getting the "skeleton" in place in a single click would be a huge time saver for us.

I know we could potentially set this up on our end using the import tool. However, most of our employees would not be able to use that because they aren't intimately familiar with Excel.

Thanks for your time!

James

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ERPNext User's Forum" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

James thats a good suggestion - Can you add it to GitHub (?)

Taking the issue a step back, I think we are severely bottlenecked in terms of developer resources. Apart from the GitHub list our own internal list is quite long. So if you want to get such features implemented faster, my suggestion is:

1. Find a developer to make it for you, contribute it back to the product. You can expect good developer support from us via GitHub or forums.
2. Help us hire more developers by giving us donations. Last year we received almost $4500 in donations, but this year it has all dried up. Laurence has already setup bounties on certain issues but there are not enough takers. On the other hand, the number of Open Source users had gone up substantially.

I am hopeful this situation will get resolved soon, but in case you are in a hurry :)

best,
Rushabh

On Friday, November 15, 2013 10:26:45 PM UTC+5:30, James wrote:
Hello,

I have a feature request that would really help us out in our particular situation. We work with a lot of subcontracted items; most of our products are machined aluminum which is then sent out to another contractor for anodizing. We currently follow all of the steps presented in the user guide, roughly following these steps:

1) Create the unprocessed item
2) Create the processed item
3) Create a BOM for the processed item, including on it 1 unprocessed item

This is something we have to repeat a lot, and it leads to a lot of clicking in and out of the item and BOM list. It would be nice if we could:

1) Create the processed item (e.g. Part1000). During creation, we select that it is a subcontracted item. This reveals a new button.
2) Clicking this button would auto-generate the unprocessed item by copying the processed item and then augmenting it's item code and description (e.g. Part1000 - Unprocessed) and changing it to a non-subcontracted item. It would also generate the bill of materials.

It would be okay if we had to go back and change some of the details on the unprocessed item (e.g. default warehouse, default supplier, etc.). Just getting the "skeleton" in place in a single click would be a huge time saver for us.

I know we could potentially set this up on our end using the import tool. However, most of our employees would not be able to use that because they aren't intimately familiar with Excel.

Thanks for your time!

James

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ERPNext User's Forum" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.