Time Sheets

Hi-

We’re primarily a time & materials company, so we need to track time worked against specific clients/contracts.  

Question 1: I’m running into a problem when editing the Timesheet Detail form. I’m unable to modify it, and get a #9 Task Name: Options must be specified for Link and Table type fields” error.  No value I put in Link is accepted; I’ve tried Task, Name, Task Name etc; I believe it needs a doctype name that I don’t know.  Here’s what’s there now;  label:Task Name  /  type:link /  name:task_name

Question 2: Once I’m able to edit the form, how might I add an additional column that allows users to enter each date (from the calendar period chosen) on which they worked? They often need to bill against multiple tasks at different times in the same day, so a breakdown is pretty important.

Thanks in advance!

t

Hi Tim,

Answers below:

Question 1: I'm running into a problem when editing the Timesheet Detail form. I'm unable to modify it, and get a "#9 Task Name: Options must be specified for Link and Table type fields" error.  No value I put in Link is accepted; I've tried Task, Name, Task Name etc; I believe it needs a doctype name that I don't know.  Here's what's there now;  label:Task Name  /  type:link /  name:task_name

Task Name was a Link (should have been a data!) - fixed it. Thanks for reporting.

Question 2: Once I'm able to edit the form, how might I add an additional column that allows users to enter each date (from the calendar period chosen) on which they worked? They often need to bill against multiple tasks at different times in the same day, so a breakdown is pretty important.

Timesheet was designed to create one in a day. Do you want multiple days per Timesheet?

Since we are on the topic, Timesheet needs a lot of improvement. There is a pending request to link Time-sheets to Invoices. If you have a list of things we can add to it, please let us know.

best,
Rushabh

Thanks in advance!

t

Rushabh,

Thanks for the quick fix!

Yes, timesheets are a pretty big deal for us, and I'd imagine will be for more of your customers as time goes on. We have a few government contracts, and we're required to do daily time reporting that locks out further changes after submission.

A full soup-to-nuts time reporting system is probably beyond the scope of what ERPNext can do today, but just being able to just enter the date on each line would be a huge help.

And I'll let you know if we pass the government timekeeping audit, as that could potentially be a significant selling point for EPRNext. DCAA-approved timekeeping systems are as expensive as many of the bloated ERP polutions out there...

tb

On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 8:06 PM, Rushabh Mehta <rm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Tim,

Answers below:

Question 1: I'm running into a problem when editing the Timesheet Detail form. I'm unable to modify it, and get a "#9 Task Name: Options must be specified for Link and Table type fields" error. No value I put in Link is accepted; I've tried Task, Name, Task Name etc; I believe it needs a doctype name that I don't know. Here's what's there now; label:Task Name / type:link / name:task_name

Task Name was a Link (should have been a data!) - fixed it. Thanks for reporting.

Question 2: Once I'm able to edit the form, how might I add an additional column that allows users to enter each date (from the calendar period chosen) on which they worked? They often need to bill against multiple tasks at different times in the same day, so a breakdown is pretty important.

Timesheet was designed to create one in a day. Do you want multiple days per Timesheet?

Since we are on the topic, Timesheet needs a lot of improvement. There is a pending request to link Time-sheets to Invoices. If you have a list of things we can add to it, please let us know.

best,
Rushabh

Thanks in advance!

t

Sure Tim :)

Sorry for the late reply but you can add a custom field in the Timesheet Details to allow for Timesheets on a multiple dates.

best,
Rushabh

W: https://erpnext.com
T: @rushabh_mehta

On 03-Dec-2012, at 11:25 AM, Timothy Baker <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:

Rushabh,

Thanks for the quick fix!

Yes, timesheets are a pretty big deal for us, and I'd imagine will be for more of your customers as time goes on.  We have a few government contracts, and we're required to do daily time reporting that locks out further changes after submission.

A full soup-to-nuts time reporting system is probably beyond the scope of what ERPNext can do today, but just being able to just enter the date on each line would be a huge help.  

And I'll let you know if we pass the government timekeeping audit, as that could potentially be a significant selling point for EPRNext.  DCAA-approved timekeeping systems are as expensive as many of the bloated ERP polutions out there...

tb

On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 8:06 PM, Rushabh Mehta <rm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Tim,

Answers below:

Question 1: I'm running into a problem when editing the Timesheet Detail form. I'm unable to modify it, and get a "#9 Task Name: Options must be specified for Link and Table type fields" error.  No value I put in Link is accepted; I've tried Task, Name, Task Name etc; I believe it needs a doctype name that I don't know.  Here's what's there now;  label:Task Name  /  type:link /  name:task_name

Question 2: Once I'm able to edit the form, how might I add an additional column that allows users to enter each date (from the calendar period chosen) on which they worked? They often need to bill against multiple tasks at different times in the same day, so a breakdown is pretty important.

best,
Rushabh

Thanks in advance!

t