I am trying to get some timesheet improvements done and thought this might be good to add to the core functionality of ERPNext after a few discussions.
I have a programmer and a price for a private project, $240. This would go up with efforts related to the process of adding to core with the Contribution Guidelines for GitHub, I’m posting to gauge interest.
Problem: timesheets here are clunky, recording time has been much simpler in every office I’ve worked in
Example: see Daily-Project-Timesheet-Template-Download-in-PDF.jpg (585×550) for how they’ve usually looked in an engineering office. Simple, showing a week or more at a glance, adds up the hours for each day because we’re supposed to work apx 8 hrs a day or 40 hrs a week.
But these timesheets are entered manually, so this is still clunky. Some newer services make keeping time frictionless with timers, toggl and clockify as examples. So I had an idea:
Goal: Make my timesheet to act more like toggl or clockify, OR, use a button in the task to start timesheet timer, show current time.
What I tried, some history: I looked into making an integration with integromat by hiring somebody on Fiverr for $40. But then it occurred to me that the integration would only work for one user, so I’d have to make the integration for every new user. So I tried hiring somebody to program some additional functionality, and one guy had a great idea that would take 10-16 hrs, but they were more expensive than I was hoping. Now I am hoping to add some functionality to the core of ERPNext.
- Best & easiest idea so far:
- Start timer button added to the task page, and when it is started it stops all other timers and makes an entry in the timesheet for the day. (and a new timesheet if needed)
- The current timer shows at the top of all ERPNext pages I’m the user of, and shows total time clocked for the current day.
- Optionally when you move a card in Kanban board to a position that the timer starts automatically. Have this optional with a dropdown selector for the ‘status’ that triggers the timer to start.
I’ve never done a pull request before and it seems daunting. I haven’t asked this programmer if he’s willing to go through that process but it was a great idea and it was his so we have a way forward if we want or we can hire somebody else.
- 3 questions.
- Is anyone else interested in adding this functionality to the core?
- What is the best way of joining forces and pooling our resources? Kickstarter, indiegogo, bounty etc. evidentally haven’t been used in the last 3 years or so Search results for ‘indiegogo’ - ERPNext Forum. and Upwork seems most active for this Search results for ‘upwork’ but how to pool?
- How possible is it that my idea will be rejected if we get to that point? ie, is this a bad idea for other types of users or does this fiverr programmer have to meet certain qualifications to even contribute?
Some background: Timesheet changes been requested at times
Better Timesheet for ERPNext or thirdy party integration? - ERPNext / User Forum - ERPNext Forum
Understanding Timesheets - ERPNext Forum
Time Clock / Task Tracking Module - ERPNext / HRMS - ERPNext Forum
I’ve read others in the past because the timesheet page has bugged me a bit from the start, but can’t find the posts right now.