Timesheets

Dear Tim / all,

Finally starting to work on upgrades on Timesheets. Here are the proposed changes. Please comment.

1. Will create a new form called "Time Log" this will be a timesheet but for only one time bucket (basically what is Timesheet Detail at this point).
2. Time Logs can be directly added to a calendar
3. Time Logs will have a billable / non-billable checkbox.
4. Billing Rate can be added in Task or Profile (?)

(All existing Timesheets will automatically be converted to Time Logs)

I am not sure about this:

1. Should billing be based on Task, or Time Log (?)
2. Should there be an automatic way to link Invoices to Billable Time Logs or should the link be manual (i.e you update the Invoice ID manually in the Time Log)?

I will create a new Time Log Form -- once its okay, we can convert all exiting Timesheets to the Time Log.

Any other suggestions welcome.

best,
Rushabh

W: https://erpnext.com
T: @rushabh_mehta

–

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ERPNext User's Forum" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

1 Like

Hello, 

Is Timesheets going to be linked with PayRoll in HR Module??

Regards,
Mohamed

On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:23:26 AM UTC+2, Rushabh Mehta wrote:
Dear Tim / all,

Finally starting to work on upgrades on Timesheets. Here are the proposed changes. Please comment.

1. Will create a new form called “Time Log” this will be a timesheet but for only one time bucket (basically what is Timesheet Detail at this point).

2. Should there be an automatic way to link Invoices to Billable Time Logs or should the link be manual (i.e you update the Invoice ID manually in the Time Log)?

I will create a new Time Log Form – once its okay, we can convert all exiting Timesheets to the Time Log.

best,
Rushabh

–

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ERPNext User's Forum" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

Nope - for now only propose to link it to Billing (even which I am not sure if it is possible to maintain a 1-1 link).

On 26-Feb-2013, at 2:57 PM, Mohamed El Ersh <mo...@tahrirtech.com> wrote:

Hello, 
Is Timesheets going to be linked with PayRoll in HR Module??

Regards,
Mohamed

On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:23:26 AM UTC+2, Rushabh Mehta wrote:
Dear Tim / all,

1. Will create a new form called "Time Log" this will be a timesheet but for only one time bucket (basically what is Timesheet Detail at this point).

I will create a new Time Log Form -- once its okay, we can convert all exiting Timesheets to the Time Log.

best,
Rushabh

–

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

–

Thank you Rushabh,
This sounds great...

1. From my perspective, billing based on task would be preferred.
2. The ability to link invoices automatically to time logs would be great, and would (at least to a non-accountant) save a step in the process.

Thanks again for everything...

r/Tim

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 1:23 AM, Rushabh Mehta <rm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Tim / all,

best,

Rushabh

–

Tim,

We had more discussion on this and also had a look at other apps (which provide no mapping between time logs and billing):

As a first step, we will just make a much usable Time Log.

Next setup, we are thinking of a transaction where you could select multiple Time Logs for billing and then against that, create a Sales Invoice. That transaction could be called "Time Logs for Billing" - this way you can selectively bill time logs. This will be parallel to the "Delivery Note" in the standard inventory process. This will help you in ensuring that all your billable logs have been billed and also ensure there is no double billing. Any thoughts?

Will release the Time Log feature today.

best,
Rushabh

On 26-Feb-2013, at 10:59 PM, Timothy Baker <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thank you Rushabh,
This sounds great...

1. From my perspective, billing based on task would be preferred. 
2. The ability to link invoices automatically to time logs would be great, and would (at least to a non-accountant) save a step in the process.

r/Tim

Dear Tim / all,

best,

Rushabh

–

Rushabh,
I think the end users will be happy with this step forward. Like I said, I'm no accountant, so if the best practice is to not directly link time logs and billing then that's just fine. I believe Quickbooks is our major point of reference, and the process of logging and billing against specific tasks is about 75% manual right now.

I may pass along a few questions as they adjust to the process, but this is still a significant leap.

Thank you-

Tim

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 8:21 PM, Rushabh Mehta <rm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Tim,

We had more discussion on this and also had a look at other apps (which provide no mapping between time logs and billing):

Next setup, we are thinking of a transaction where you could select multiple Time Logs for billing and then against that, create a Sales Invoice. That transaction could be called "Time Logs for Billing" - this way you can selectively bill time logs. This will be parallel to the "Delivery Note" in the standard inventory process. This will help you in ensuring that all your billable logs have been billed and also ensure there is no double billing. Any thoughts?

best,
Rushabh

Thank you Rushabh,

This sounds great…

1. From my perspective, billing based on task would be preferred.

r/Tim

Dear Tim / all,

best,

Rushabh

–

Thanks Tim -- looked up Quickbooks too - got the word I was looking for "Batch".

The new transaction will be called "Time Log Batch" - you can select all unbilled (and billable) Time Logs in the Batch and then Invoice the Batch.

This seems to make sense :)

best,
Rushabh

On 27-Feb-2013, at 12:00 PM, Timothy Baker <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:

Rushabh,
I think the end users will be happy with this step forward. Like I said, I'm no accountant, so if the best practice is to not directly link time logs and billing then that's just fine. I believe Quickbooks is our major point of reference, and the process of logging and billing against specific tasks is about 75% manual right now.  

I may pass along a few questions as they adjust to the process, but this is still a significant leap.

Thank you-

Tim

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 8:21 PM, Rushabh Mehta <rm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Tim,

best,
Rushabh

Thank you Rushabh,

This sounds great…

1. From my perspective, billing based on task would be preferred. 

r/Tim

Dear Tim / all,

best,

Rushabh

–

I am testing this feature, and finding it difficult to use. For example, what happens if you select multiple time entries that include more than 1 customer? Then it would have to produce an invoice for each customer. How would that work? Also, when I get to the sales invoice stage it forces me to select a customer and and item which then wipes out my time entry, so I have to re-enter it manually. I can’t seem to get the note description to carry over, so I have to go and print another report from the time log or copy and paste the description of the work. I also find it difficult to produce a work-in- process report which would give me a list of all unbilled time that needs to be invoiced, by customer/project. Then after the time is billed, I don’t want to see it on the list of unbilled time. I tried using the report builder but couldn’t seem to get what I wanted. I imagine it would be a lot of work to get it to work similarly to the way quickbooks handles time entry and billing. Last time I used that one it seemed to work pretty well. Just the results of my testing, for whatever its worth. This seems to be an old conversation, so maybe its been put on the back-burner.

Billing time is still an open issue.

@fblauer can you share how Quickbooks does it. Maybe we can get a clear idea.

Here is a video on entering and billing time in the Quickbooks desktop
product:

It is not very detailed, but I will try to get more information

OK, I tried it in Quickbooks online. (The previous video that I sent you
was for the desktop product). This is their new cloud solution. I created a
couple of customers/jobs, and entered some time. Here is a screenshot of
the billing screen, attached. When you are in the invoicing screen, you
select the customer, and all the unbilled time shows up on the right hand
side of the screen. Then you can click “add all”, or select any time
transactions that you want to bill. and the time transactions are added to
the invoice.

I can give you access to this demo instance if you like. It will work for
30 days, and then expire.

i’ll drop our solution into this for more ideas: we are currently using eHour (ehour.nl) and it has been great. Perfect for our needs and the dev has been a pleasure to work with. I would suggest checking it out for ideas on how to manage time tracking