Understand the Workflow Rules and how to implement the same on Masters

Hi,

Today, I got the chance to study the recent addition of Workflow rules (maybe it is not so recent but I got time to see it today only). I was wondering with a few questions about the same. Now is it possible to have workflow rules for any doctype (I guess the answer is Yes). Now since this is applicable to all doctypes it means it is applicable to masters as well.

Now the video about the workflow does show how to use the workflow state but it does not cover how to setup workflow rules and regarding this is my post, I have some questions in my mind:
  • I would like to setup a Save, Submit and Cancelled kind of work flow for Masters as well, how exactly to do that, there are many fields in setup, kindly explain each field if possible.
  • If I am able to setup such a thing for masters (lets say Customer), then my questions is whether the customer be visible in search of customers in Sales Orders or DN or Sales Invoice.
  • Similarly we could change the master to Item and the same question comes would the item be searchable in Stock Entries, SO, DN etc.
Currently it seems that the search on masters does not consider their document status. Kindly let me know if this kind of a thing is possible. If so then Workflows would be very useful for Masters as it could be used to DECOMMISSION items from service, instead of using the end of life field.

Also it could be used in customers where we could BLACK LIST a customer so that no transactions are carried out with them or we could just simply CANCEL a customer since sometimes people create multiple customers for the same name like some  one might save a customer MP or M P or even M.P or better still M. P.

Looking forward to learning about this new feature, since it seems like a very exciting feature.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ERPNext User's Forum" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Aditya,

The best way to figure workflow is to try out some options... Also its not restricted to any document.

Also we have this new "Merge" feature for Customer / Supplier. Guess should have posted it on the forum. To merge a Customer / Supplier, click on "Rename" and then give the new name of an existing Customer - then it will merge all the transactions into that customer.

This is ideal when you have duplicate master records.

best,
Rushabh

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 10:00 AM, Addy <ad...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Today, I got the chance to study the recent addition of Workflow rules (maybe it is not so recent but I got time to see it today only). I was wondering with a few questions about the same. Now is it possible to have workflow rules for any doctype (I guess the answer is Yes). Now since this is applicable to all doctypes it means it is applicable to masters as well.

Now the video about the workflow does show how to use the workflow state but it does not cover how to setup workflow rules and regarding this is my post, I have some questions in my mind:
  • I would like to setup a Save, Submit and Cancelled kind of work flow for Masters as well, how exactly to do that, there are many fields in setup, kindly explain each field if possible.
  • If I am able to setup such a thing for masters (lets say Customer), then my questions is whether the customer be visible in search of customers in Sales Orders or DN or Sales Invoice.
  • Similarly we could change the master to Item and the same question comes would the item be searchable in Stock Entries, SO, DN etc.
Currently it seems that the search on masters does not consider their document status. Kindly let me know if this kind of a thing is possible. If so then Workflows would be very useful for Masters as it could be used to DECOMMISSION items from service, instead of using the end of life field.

Also it could be used in customers where we could BLACK LIST a customer so that no transactions are carried out with them or we could just simply CANCEL a customer since sometimes people create multiple customers for the same name like some one might save a customer MP or M P or even M.P or better still M. P.

Looking forward to learning about this new feature, since it seems like a very exciting feature.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ERPNext User's Forum" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

Old post, but we can merge a customer and supplier as one? Currently we tag each customer with a prefix "C" and suppliers with a  prefix "S" and just duplicate them in customer and supplier masters. They do share addresses though (which is what we want to achieve rather than duplicating addresses and contacts as well)

On Saturday, April 27, 2013 4:15:23 PM UTC+8, Rushabh Mehta wrote:
Aditya,

The best way to figure workflow is to try out some options... Also its not restricted to any document.

Also we have this new "Merge" feature for Customer / Supplier. Guess should have posted it on the forum. To merge a Customer / Supplier, click on "Rename" and then give the new name of an existing Customer - then it will merge all the transactions into that customer. 

best,
Rushabh

Hi,

Also it could be used in customers where we could BLACK LIST a customer so that no transactions are carried out with them or we could just simply CANCEL a customer since sometimes people create multiple customers for the same name like some  one might save a customer MP or M P or even M.P or better still M. P.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

Hi Laurence,

Customer and Supplier are different entities in ERPNext with different function and relationships to transaction.

Right now, it is not possible to merge them.

Thanks,
Anand.

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 10:06 PM, lxnow <la...@union.ph> wrote:
Old post, but we can merge a customer and supplier as one? Currently we tag each customer with a prefix "C" and suppliers with a prefix "S" and just duplicate them in customer and supplier masters. They do share addresses though (which is what we want to achieve rather than duplicating addresses and contacts as well)

On Saturday, April 27, 2013 4:15:23 PM UTC+8, Rushabh Mehta wrote:

Aditya,

The best way to figure workflow is to try out some options… Also its not restricted to any document.

best,
Rushabh

Hi,

Also it could be used in customers where we could BLACK LIST a customer so that no transactions are carried out with them or we could just simply CANCEL a customer since sometimes people create multiple customers for the same name like some one might save a customer MP or M P or even M.P or better still M. P.

Twitter: @rushabh_mehta