[v10-develop] Yarn - Rollup - Develop - Docker Issues

Thanks you for all fo the hard work on python 3 and yarn and rollup, but everything is broken.

If you get this to work, its a miracle of trying several things some of which you need to do over and over again. i finally got it working after following 4 different bug threads. Once I got it working i was determined to recreate a clean docker build from scratch to help others struggling and now i am stuck again. Could someone please take the time to explain how to build from a clean frappe_docker build. Basically it is impossible and people are closing bug tickets and discuss topics without any consensus or resolution and the community is pretty frustrated. I have also tried to run frappe_docker with bench switch-to-master with no success. Someone please post end to end instructions for either frappe_docker on master branches so we donā€™t have to deal with the completely broken develop or a way to get develop to build.

I disagree, except migration to python3 on which Iā€™ve some issues all the other u mentioned are working on latest ā€¦

About closing post Iā€™ve answered you privately and on github ā€¦

one thing should be very clear to you and all people here ā€¦this is a volunteer forum ā€¦so no one owns you anything ā€¦

3 Likes

If this the same issue,
then it still hurts a bit:

Hi joshreeder is correct, my systems are totally bricked! I canā€™t switch to master due to one error (pymysql.err.IntegrityError: (1048, u"Column ā€˜translatableā€™ cannot be null")), and develop has another (Invalid Token ā€œ.ā€ in css file when compiling the reports js)

I spent hours yesterday trying to get it working, installed yarn, rollup, and other packages, but I canā€™t get anything to work. I too followed countless fixes, the only one I couldnā€™t try is that package.json-lock that someone posted.

As to josh and/or me moaning about ā€œfreeā€ software, yes agreed but please also consider that ONE ā€œhelpfulā€ dev can upload something to brick 100ā€™s or 1000ā€™s of peoples machines (eg, this happened recently with yarn! but I think they revoked his access permissions since!)ā€¦ and when you add up all that misery, time, and cost, it can be quite a large toll on the community ā€“ imagine if some of those people will move on to other software, overall net loss for the project as a whole.

And itā€™s this dev, that seems to be on the forums saying ā€œhey! brand new build system, letā€™s have some fun and all debug it together!ā€ which is hard to stomach when youā€™re not on the same level

I take the whole blame, for not testing the new update on my test servers, etc - but I think a lot of people like me are gravitating towards organisations that test before release themselves (eg, Debian) - as it saves 1000s of man years globally this way.

But having said that, if anyone can help us please, letā€™s meet in the gitter chat room. I have some PayPal for bounty.

1 Like

Yarn is on develop branch, it has not been merged to master, so itā€™s better to wait to upgrade on master and yarn must be installed as global so u need to run command as root: npm install -g yarn.

And VM virtual image could be not updated as now we are on 10.1 on both frappe and erpnext

iā€™m not getting ur point ā€¦what are u trying to tell us?

I did apt-get install yarn instead - is that the mistake? Iā€™ll try your command now, thank you

so, problem here is not frappe, bench working on not ā€¦problem is knowledge ā€¦sorry to say that, but you cannot state itā€™s not working because of issues while it has not been installed properly ā€¦

Yes indeed. When I ran bench update I would have loved to have seen Warning: New build system, are you sure?. But instead, I lacked the knowledge, and ran the commandā€¦ which then bricked my system.

I just tried npm install -g yarn as root, and re-run bench update as frappe user. No change, same error.

Iā€™m totally stuck.

Arguable as develop version is for developers, u just couldnā€™t update ā€¦

Can you share your error trace?

My hunch is, because itā€™s getting stuck on ā€œ.ā€ inside a css file, weā€™re missing a babel-plugin in the package.json that is provided by bench. And maybe when I try installing packages, they are getting wiped as part of bench update. Iā€™m only guessing, I donā€™t know. Iā€™m just 8 hours into running a simple ā€œbench updateā€ ā€¦ lost for ideasā€¦ please help us and I am sorry we both appear to be ungratefulā€¦

/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/public/js/lib/clusterize.min.js, /home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/public/js/lib/frappe-datatable.js, /home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/public/js/frappe/views/reports/report_factory.js, /home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/public/js/frappe/views/reports/report_view.js, /home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/public/js/frappe/views/reports/reportview_footer.html, /home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/public/js/frappe/views/reports/query_report.js, /home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/public/js/frappe/views/reports/grid_report.js, /home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/public/js/frappe/views/reports/print_grid.html, /home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/public/js/frappe/views/reports/print_tree.html ā†’ ../../sites/assets/js/report.min.js...
[!] Error: Unexpected token
../../node_modules/frappe-datatable/dist/frappe-datatable.css (4:0)
2: /* variables */
3:
4: .data-table {
   ^
5:
6:   /* styling */

npm ERR! Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64
npm ERR! argv "/usr/bin/nodejs" "/usr/bin/npm" "run" "production"
npm ERR! node v6.7.0
npm ERR! npm  v3.10.3
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! frappe@ production: `FRAPPE_ENV=production rollup -c`
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the frappe@ production script 'FRAPPE_ENV=production rollup -c'.
npm ERR! Make sure you have the latest version of node.js and npm installed.
npm ERR! If you do, this is most likely a problem with the frappe package,
npm ERR! not with npm itself.
npm ERR! Tell the author that this fails on your system:
npm ERR!     FRAPPE_ENV=production rollup -c
npm ERR! You can get information on how to open an issue for this project with:
npm ERR!     npm bugs frappe
npm ERR! Or if that isn't available, you can get their info via:
npm ERR!     npm owner ls frappe
npm ERR! There is likely additional logging output above.
npm WARN Local package.json exists, but node_modules missing, did you mean to install?

npm ERR! Please include the following file with any support request:
npm ERR!     /home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/npm-debug.log
________________________________________________________________________________
Bench: Deployment tool for Frappe and ERPNext (https://erpnext.org).
Open source depends on your contributions, so please contribute bug reports, patches, fixes or cash and be a part of the community
()
frappe@78b08a83ecaf:~/frappe-bench$

I agree. Look at this as an /opportunity/, to add the warning before master branch gets it. This warning would be totally sane, because frappe runs as frappe user usually, and the yarn stuff is a root job.

you seems to not having last version on frappe, try

cd /apps/frappe
git pull

Yes. Will run again now to ensure no errors.

frappe@78b08a83ecaf:~/frappe-bench$ bench update --requirements
INFO:bench.utils:./env/bin/pip install Pillow
Requirement already satisfied: Pillow in ./env/lib/python2.7/site-packages
Requirement already satisfied: olefile in ./env/lib/python2.7/site-packages (from Pillow)
Updating Python libraries...
INFO:bench.utils:./env/bin/pip install --upgrade pip
Requirement already up-to-date: pip in ./env/lib/python2.7/site-packages
INFO:bench.utils:./env/bin/pip install -q -r /home/frappe/bench-repo/requirements.txt
INFO:bench.utils:./env/bin/pip install -q -r ./apps/frappe/requirements.txt
INFO:bench.utils:./env/bin/pip install -q -r ./apps/erpnext/requirements.txt
Updating node libraries...
INFO:bench.utils:npm install
npm WARN optional Skipping failed optional dependency /chokidar/fsevents:
npm WARN notsup Not compatible with your operating system or architecture: fsevents@1.1.3
npm WARN frappe@ No description
________________________________________________________________________________
Bench: Deployment tool for Frappe and ERPNext (https://erpnext.org).
Open source depends on your contributions, so please contribute bug reports, patches, fixes or cash and be a part of the community
()
frappe@78b08a83ecaf:~/frappe-bench$

Isnā€™t frappe based on python 3? It mentions 2.7 in my logsā€¦

No itā€™s still 2.7 ā€¦

are you on docker image?

Yes, the official one

so youā€™re in on develop branch of bench repo, thatā€™s why itā€™s not working ā€¦