[v15] How to approach Project Staff Commitments and Accrual Reversal?

I am creating Projects, attaching a budget with multiple accounts. Then journaling Actuals against the project using Project Code, Department and Account Code.

I then want to export those journal entries, so I can report the actuals in an external Project Tool.

However I am not sure how best to handle Staff Commitments. Since staff costs are the biggest project cost, I want to make a staff commitment, then gradually make accural reversals to transfer the upfront staff commitment into actuals.

I know some ERP systems do this via Purchase Orders, but I am not sure how to link the PO to a project account code rather than the default cost centre?

Should I manage this through the GL? Perhaps by linking the commitment and reversal to a special cost centre? But that route confuses me, how do I determine which journal entry was which without extensive lookups? I am hoping to make the export as simple as possible?

Any advice welcome. :slight_smile:

POs are appropriate for external staff/contractors and can already be tagged to the Project independently of Cost Center. For internal staff, keep the future staff allocation as a non-GL commitment, and only put genuine period-end staff accruals in the GL. Build the project export from actual GL + outstanding commitments rather than posting all commitments into the GL.