Webshop and other Updates

Dear all,

Since we released the new UI and other updates, things have stabilized a bit.

I want to apologize for the issues caused due to field re-arrangement - the reason was that we tried to release two major features in one go, though we tested the UI updates a lot, we did not get time to think through the issues that the field arrangement caused. Something we will avoid in the future.

In the coming week, we plan to release a major update to the "lists" (the pages that allow you to browse masters or transactions). Now that the top-leve UI has been cleaned up, the lists are next in row. Some of the drawbacks of the current lists are:

1. they are not very readable
2. too much space is wasted
3. number of filters is fixed

I will upload some screenshots in a day or so to keep you updated on the progress.

Before we move on to the webshop, we want to do a bunch of cleanups on the backend. Table names are all very old and messed up (Sales Invoice is called Receivable Voucher and so on - Some of you must have lost a few hairs trying to figure this out). So we will try and rectify all table names and also add as much inline help in forms as possible. This update will be released in a week or two.

After that we will be moving on in the web-shop. Major to-dos in the webshop are:

1. Product + Item integration
2. Shopping Cart
3. Payment gateway integration
4. Order History
5. Account registration and settings

We will send out a detailed plan on this as we progress.

One of the other itches we plan to work on sooner is a Newsletter module, where you can send out communication to your contacts.

Thanks again for all the feedback you keep sending.

best,
Rushabh

-----------------------------------------------------
ERPNext - Business Operating System

W: https://erpnext.com
T: @rushabh_mehta

Rushabh,

You guys are just great. I am so proud and glad to be associated with Erpnext .

Warm regards
Sender: er...@googlegroups.com
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 17:14:36 +0530
To: ERPNext User's Forum<er...@googlegroups.com>
ReplyTo: er...@googlegroups.com
Cc: <wn...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [erpnext-user-forum] Webshop and other Updates

Dear all,

I want to apologize for the issues caused due to field re-arrangement - the reason was that we tried to release two major features in one go, though we tested the UI updates a lot, we did not get time to think through the issues that the field arrangement caused. Something we will avoid in the future.

In the coming week, we plan to release a major update to the "lists" (the pages that allow you to browse masters or transactions). Now that the top-leve UI has been cleaned up, the lists are next in row. Some of the drawbacks of the current lists are:

I will upload some screenshots in a day or so to keep you updated on the progress.

Before we move on to the webshop, we want to do a bunch of cleanups on the backend. Table names are all very old and messed up (Sales Invoice is called Receivable Voucher and so on - Some of you must have lost a few hairs trying to figure this out). So we will try and rectify all table names and also add as much inline help in forms as possible. This update will be released in a week or two.

After that we will be moving on in the web-shop. Major to-dos in the webshop are:

2. Shopping Cart
4. Order History

One of the other itches we plan to work on sooner is a Newsletter module, where you can send out communication to your contacts.

best,
Rushabh

This email has again caught me up with great enthusiasm and interest to see what comes to us next @erpnext. Ofcourse, it was a great delight to see the new UI. However, there were a few "resets" and few teething problems with the new setup. Had a tough time to overcome and bring back our account back on track.

Just a small request, is that, there may be some inbuilt changes in a particular erpnext account be it field setting, or custom field or any other form setting, calculations etc. Please please ensure that the same is actually "carry forward" because now that the dependancy of our users is completely based on it, and any downtime trying to fix that up will be little time consuming for both the sides - support @ erpnext as well as ourside.

Sure enough, we are all heading towards a finer, nicer, stable and an efficient business operating system, but it would be worth while to consider that "jerks" of newer patches are not going to cause turbulant waves in everyday operating users of erpnext.

Ok, but the past has gone, with excellant support from the team, I must say, I am much much proud, delighted and satisfied customer of ERPNEXT… and day by day, month by month, I am leveraging more dependancy on the system, keeping it utilized, and bringing out results.

When I read about new developments about webshop and forthcoming release of newsletter functionality, I am becoming little impatient about waiting to see those new updates… but I will wait till you announce.

Kind Regards, and many many thanks for all the hardwork that you all are putting in to make our favourite BOS a true BOSS in the ERP "B"usiness "O"perating "S"ystem scenario.

Mahesh…

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Rushabh Mehta <rm…@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear all,

2. Shopping Cart
4. Order History

best,
Rushabh

Well my journey with ERPNEXT started in August-2010 and almost 18 months later, I see can very easily say that I made the right choice. For a time span of 18 months I have seen tremendous changes in the system and I guess this next update of a webshop would truely make this product a world beater.

The only thing is that I would like to suggest the team is that the next step should be attract new customers, I guess the team had taken easy on adding new customers by removing the free trials since the backend needed a lot of cleanup and I think that part is almost over.

I would also suggest that there should be a way for people like us to contribute to the community by atleast adding things to the documentation. @Rushabh: I would request you to kindly make a public domain of documentation like a WIKI or atleast let me know how to do it so we could make the documentation much stronger by contributing to it.

On Wednesday, March 7, 2012 5:14:36 PM UTC+5:30, Rushabh Mehta wrote:
Dear all,

In the coming week, we plan to release a major update to the “lists” (the pages that allow you to browse masters or transactions). Now that the top-leve UI has been cleaned up, the lists are next in row. Some of the drawbacks of the current lists are:

2. Shopping Cart
4. Order History

best,
Rushabh

Nice and interesting to have this update and read the view of other
members.

It must be difficult to decide where to go for the team, with such a
variation in user community.
All users will have different wish-lists.

Mine: a very user-friendly POS and webshop intergration.

I do sincerely believe that the team should consolidate soon, and
concentrate on user documentation.
Starting work with ERPNext is too much of a expedition into unknown
terrain, and the average new customer of ERPNext will evaluate
capabilities, user-friendliness, documentation, price and after a few
hours struggling may move on the one of erpnext competitors.

One does not have to be a management guru, to make the simple
calculation that the tremendously appreciated support time I
personally received is absolutely unsustainable with many (new) users.
Rushabh would have to hire a support army, financial impossible given
the monthly fee.

I agree with Aditya that experience users may volunteer to write part
of the documentation. However, to prevent chaos there should be a very
organized framework to submit parts of the documentation.

Further, the ERPNext team is so familiar with the system that they
think it is easy. It is not. With the 200 tables, 1000s of fieldnames
and god knows how many internal links and “on the fly sql generated”
tables it cannot be simple.

Maybe, Rushabh should consider to make a deal with a near by company.
Have a young administrator/bookkeeper set up the bookkeeping from
scratch at the ERPNext office, and carefully monitor/document where
are the bottlenecks.

After these critical notes, keep the good work up guys, robert

On Mar 7, 12:44 pm, Rushabh Mehta rm...@gmail.com wrote:

Dear all,

In the coming week, we plan to release a major update to the “lists” (the pages that allow you to browse masters or transactions). Now that the top-leve UI has been cleaned up, the lists are next in row. Some of the drawbacks of the current lists are:

2. Shopping Cart
  4. Order History

best,
Rushabh

W:https://erpnext.com

I would like to add one more thing that I have heard a lot of about products like the Zen Cart and I suppose they are open source as well, therefore just curious that whether the new webshop would have the capabilities like that of a Zen Cart or not.

Dear all,

2. Shopping Cart
4. Order History

best,
Rushabh

yes, zan cart is FOSS. (free open source

On Mar 8, 5:56 am, Aditya Duggal ad...@gmail.com wrote:

I would like to add one more thing that I have heard a lot of about
products like the Zen Cart and I suppose they are open source as well,
therefore just curious that whether the new webshop would have the
capabilities like that of a Zen Cart or not.

Dear all,

Since we released the new UI and other updates, things have stabilized a
bit.

I want to apologize for the issues caused due to field re-arrangement -
the reason was that we tried to release two major features in one go,
though we tested the UI updates a lot, we did not get time to think through
the issues that the field arrangement caused. Something we will avoid in
the future.

In the coming week, we plan to release a major update to the “lists” (the
pages that allow you to browse masters or transactions). Now that the
top-leve UI has been cleaned up, the lists are next in row. Some of the
drawbacks of the current lists are:

I will upload some screenshots in a day or so to keep you updated on the
progress.

Before we move on to the webshop, we want to do a bunch of cleanups on the
backend. Table names are all very old and messed up (Sales Invoice is
called Receivable Voucher and so on - Some of you must have lost a few
hairs trying to figure this out). So we will try and rectify all table
names and also add as much inline help in forms as possible. This update
will be released in a week or two.

After that we will be moving on in the web-shop. Major to-dos in the
webshop are:

2. Shopping Cart
  4. Order History

One of the other itches we plan to work on sooner is a Newsletter module,
where you can send out communication to your contacts.

best,
Rushabh

W:https://erpnext.com

Eagerly awaiting for this update or screen shots of the same.

Dear all,

2. Shopping Cart
4. Order History

best,
Rushabh

------------------------------ -----------------------