Weekly question, hopefully easy.. custom text fields in print format

I’ve spent several hours trying to find a way to do this through custom fields & print formats… I’m sure it’s trivial if you have access to the server. 

We need to show a simple text block on each printed form with the internal document number, e.g. ‘FORM XYZ.’  It is the same for each type; not editable, just visible.

For most of the forms (purchase orders, sales orders, delivery notes etc), I’ve been able to add a little HTML to a custom print format for each, so when printing / previewing the FORM number appears at the bottom. This has worked everywhere except Customer Issues. Trying to copy the print format to create a custom won’t work as I get a blank form; I can add it to the details page, but not the printed document.

Thoughts?

Thanks for all your ongoing efforts!

Tim

Hi Tim,

Can you send us a screenshot of what you are trying to achieve? It will be much clearer.

best,
Rushabh

W: https://erpnext.com
T: @rushabh_mehta

On 24-Jan-2013, at 9:36 AM, Tim <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:

I've spent several hours trying to find a way to do this through custom fields & print formats... I'm sure it's trivial if you have access to the server. 

We need to show a simple text block on each printed form with the internal document number, e.g. 'FORM XYZ.'  It is the same for each type; not editable, just visible.

For most of the forms (purchase orders, sales orders, delivery notes etc), I've been able to add a little HTML to a custom print format for each, so when printing / previewing the FORM number appears at the bottom. This has worked everywhere except Customer Issues. Trying to copy the print format to create a custom won't work as I get a blank form; I can add it to the details page, but not the printed document.

Thoughts?

Tim

Absolutely, Rushabh-

Attached is the Purchase Order print format with the text appended, and the Customer Issue print format that I see when I attempt to copy and add similar text. I hope this makes sense...

Thanks!

Tim

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 9:25 PM, Rushabh Mehta <rm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Tim,

Can you send us a screenshot of what you are trying to achieve? It will be much clearer.

best,
Rushabh

I've spent several hours trying to find a way to do this through custom fields & print formats... I'm sure it's trivial if you have access to the server.

We need to show a simple text block on each printed form with the internal document number, e.g. 'FORM XYZ.' It is the same for each type; not editable, just visible.

For most of the forms (purchase orders, sales orders, delivery notes etc), I've been able to add a little HTML to a custom print format for each, so when printing / previewing the FORM number appears at the bottom. This has worked everywhere except Customer Issues. Trying to copy the print format to create a custom won't work as I get a blank form; I can add it to the details page, but not the printed document.

Thoughts?

Tim

Tim,

There "Standard" print formats are auto generated.

One easy solution is to create a Custom Field of type HTML and put the HTML code in "Options". Then the standard print format will display that field too.

Let me know if it works.

best,
Rushabh

On 24-Jan-2013, at 11:02 AM, Timothy Baker <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:

Absolutely, Rushabh- 

Attached is the Purchase Order print format with the text appended, and the Customer Issue print format that I see when I attempt to copy and add similar text. I hope this makes sense...

Thanks!

Tim

Hi Tim,

best,
Rushabh

We need to show a simple text block on each printed form with the internal document number, e.g. ‘FORM XYZ.’  It is the same for each type; not editable, just visible.

For most of the forms (purchase orders, sales orders, delivery notes etc), I’ve been able to add a little HTML to a custom print format for each, so when printing / previewing the FORM number appears at the bottom. This has worked everywhere except Customer Issues. Trying to copy the print format to create a custom won’t work as I get a blank form; I can add it to the details page, but not the printed document.

Thoughts?

Tim

<Customer Issue Print Format.jpg><Purchase Order Print Format.jpg>

Well, I feel a bit stupid now. I've tried dozens of permutations; text block, code, making it a mandatory field etc etc... I never tried 'options' as I assumed they were switches; drop-down choices or other formatting options.

It worked like a charm… I should have just asked earlier.

Thanks again, Rushabh.

t

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 9:56 PM, Rushabh Mehta <rm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Tim,

One easy solution is to create a Custom Field of type HTML and put the HTML code in "Options". Then the standard print format will display that field too.

Let me know if it works.

best,
Rushabh

Absolutely, Rushabh-

Thanks!

Tim

Hi Tim,

best,
Rushabh

We need to show a simple text block on each printed form with the internal document number, e.g. 'FORM XYZ.' It is the same for each type; not editable, just visible.

Thoughts?

Tim

Great :)

I know the documentation needs to get updated. 

Guess that will be To Do Item # 3345

best,
Rushabh

On 24-Jan-2013, at 12:02 PM, Timothy Baker <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:

Well, I feel a bit stupid now. I've tried dozens of permutations; text block, code, making it a mandatory field etc etc... I never tried 'options' as I assumed they were switches; drop-down choices or other formatting options.  

It worked like a charm… I should have just asked earlier.

Thanks again, Rushabh.

t

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 9:56 PM, Rushabh Mehta <rm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Tim,

Let me know if it works.

best,
Rushabh

Absolutely, Rushabh- 

Thanks!

Tim

Hi Tim,

best,
Rushabh

Thoughts?

Tim