What is the quickstart procedure?

Could someone describe a quick start procedure to setup ERPNext to use for manufacturing, without caring about financials?

The company department I’m with with sells test services using custom test equipment we design and manufacture. We do not sell the equipment, we build a test instrument according to the specific needs of a client project, and then dis-assemble it and save the pieces to use use again the next time there is a suitable project. I am experimenting using ERPNext for product data management - items, BOMs, and suppliers, and for manufacturing and materials management - identifying non-controlled, serialized and batch controlled raw material, manufacturing and testing serialized sub-assemblies using the raw material, assembling and testing finished equipment, issuing serialized finished equipment and spare parts to client jobs, and finally receiving the equipment back from the client jobs, disassembling the equipment into sub-assemblies, re-testing the sub-assemblies, and then finally returning them to the stock room shelves for re-use again. We are currently working using a combination of several systems (a simple commercial part database, a custom database application for manufacturing process control, and a large number of spreadsheets). My goal is to combine the data and use ERPNext to replace all of them.

Our department is basically a small company inside of a very large company, which uses SAP for financial transactions. I’m interested in ERPNext because the SAP system is essentially unsuitable for us to use as I’ve described above (due to logistical difficulties defining, documenting, and configuring the SAP system for my particular needs, lack of staff to effectively run an SAP-based process day to day. We use SAP for sales orders, purchase orders (most of which are non-stock - i.e. there isn’t a part number in SAP for the material), and for inventory management of the high-level-assembly part numbers that we have put in SAP. My vision is to use ERNext for managing the engineering and operations side of our small “company”, and issue reports from ERPNext to a clerk for entering corresponding transactions in SAP when needed.

I’m starting to import item part numbers, BOMs and serial numbers from our legacy systems, and just need to know the basic financial setup needed that will support the operations I’ve described. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Dale

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ERPNext User's Forum" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Hello, Dale!

If you does not use the module, of ERPNext, you can disable this, on Setup.

ERPNext, is very flexible, if you don't can create a Sales Order, you can clear the option, "Sales Order Required" in 'Selling Settings', and you can apply this, for all others, transactions, of ERPNext, you will not use.

2013/7/12 Dale Scott <da...@dalescott.net>

Could someone describe a quick start procedure to setup ERPNext to use for manufacturing, without caring about financials?

The company department I'm with with sells test services using custom test equipment we design and manufacture. We do not sell the equipment, we build a test instrument according to the specific needs of a client project, and then dis-assemble it and save the pieces to use use again the next time there is a suitable project. I am experimenting using ERPNext for product data management - items, BOMs, and suppliers, and for manufacturing and materials management - identifying non-controlled, serialized and batch controlled raw material, manufacturing and testing serialized sub-assemblies using the raw material, assembling and testing finished equipment, issuing serialized finished equipment and spare parts to client jobs, and finally receiving the equipment back from the client jobs, disassembling the equipment into sub-assemblies, re-testing the sub-assemblies, and then finally returning them to the stock room shelves for re-use again. We are currently working using a combination of several systems (a simple commercial part database, a custom database application for manufacturing process control, and a large number of spreadsheets). My goal is to combine the data and use ERPNext to replace all of them.

Our department is basically a small company inside of a very large company, which uses SAP for financial transactions. I'm interested in ERPNext because the SAP system is essentially unsuitable for us to use as I've described above (due to logistical difficulties defining, documenting, and configuring the SAP system for my particular needs, lack of staff to effectively run an SAP-based process day to day. We use SAP for sales orders, purchase orders (most of which are non-stock - i.e. there isn't a part number in SAP for the material), and for inventory management of the high-level-assembly part numbers that we have put in SAP. My vision is to use ERNext for managing the engineering and operations side of our small "company", and issue reports from ERPNext to a clerk for entering corresponding transactions in SAP when needed.

I'm starting to import item part numbers, BOMs and serial numbers from our legacy systems, and just need to know the basic financial setup needed that will support the operations I've described. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Dale

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ERPNext User's Forum" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

Maxwell Morais

(+55 11) 3931-1412 Ramal 31
www.realizemodulados.com.br

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

On Friday, 12 July 2013 07:34:55 UTC-6, Dale Scott wrote:

The company department I’m with with sells test services using custom test equipment we design and manufacture. We do not sell the equipment, we build a test instrument according to the specific needs of a client project, and then dis-assemble it and save the pieces to use use again the next time there is a suitable project. I am experimenting using ERPNext for product data management - items, BOMs, and suppliers, and for manufacturing and materials management - identifying non-controlled, serialized and batch controlled raw material, manufacturing and testing serialized sub-assemblies using the raw material, assembling and testing finished equipment, issuing serialized finished equipment and spare parts to client jobs, and finally receiving the equipment back from the client jobs, disassembling the equipment into sub-assemblies, re-testing the sub-assemblies, and then finally returning them to the stock room shelves for re-use again. We are currently working using a combination of several systems (a simple commercial part database, a custom database application for manufacturing process control, and a large number of spreadsheets). My goal is to combine the data and use ERPNext to replace all of them.

Our department is basically a small company inside of a very large company, which uses SAP for financial transactions. I’m interested in ERPNext because the SAP system is essentially unsuitable for us to use as I’ve described above (due to logistical difficulties defining, documenting, and configuring the SAP system for my particular needs, lack of staff to effectively run an SAP-based process day to day. We use SAP for sales orders, purchase orders (most of which are non-stock - i.e. there isn’t a part number in SAP for the material), and for inventory management of the high-level-assembly part numbers that we have put in SAP. My vision is to use ERNext for managing the engineering and operations side of our small “company”, and issue reports from ERPNext to a clerk for entering corresponding transactions in SAP when needed.

I’m starting to import item part numbers, BOMs and serial numbers from our legacy systems, and just need to know the basic financial setup needed that will support the operations I’ve described. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Dale

Thanks Maxwell for the information. I was hoping (rather selfishly I
admit) that someone would list the 20 or so specific steps needed after
“login to new system”. Something like the Achievo project’s Guided Tour
(e.g. create admin user profile, create new admin user, edit chart of
accounts with absolute minimum requirements like this…, etc.). Once
I’ve got the basics down, I can create a QuickStart page for the project
wiki (I’ve never actually forked a project wiki and issued a pull
request for a new page, but I think it’s possible), and I can’t be the
only person interested.

I get the feeling that accountant types just “get” how to create a new company with a basic Chart of Accounts,
but that gives me the heebeejeebees. For now, I want to load part
numbers and serial numbers, and then try manufacturing a finished product, issue
it to a project, and then return it from the project and put the pieces back on the shelf - without getting caught up in the accounting part. Then, as I
learn more, either start using other features or turn them off. Can you help give me some specific direction?

Thanks,
Dale

Dale,

Read through your requirement. You don't need any Financial setup to do basic BOM, Inventory. You will require to specify Income and Expense heads only at the time of Invoicing.

Regarding the manual, we are working on it. We were hoping to release it this week, but some last minute changes meant that we will have to retest a lot of the new sIn the new release we have a much better setup page where the setup is organised much better. But it should be up in the coming week.

Here are some help pages you can use temporarily:

best,
Rushabh

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 2:13 AM, Dale Scott <da...@dalescott.net> wrote:
Thanks Maxwell for the information. I was hoping (rather selfishly I admit) that someone would list the 20 or so specific steps needed after "login to new system". Something like the Achievo project's Guided Tour (e.g. create admin user profile, create new admin user, edit chart of accounts with absolute minimum requirements like this....., etc.). Once I've got the basics down, I can create a QuickStart page for the project wiki (I've never actually forked a project wiki and issued a pull request for a new page, but I think it's possible), and I can't be the only person interested.

I get the feeling that accountant types just "get" how to create a new company with a basic Chart of Accounts, but that gives me the heebeejeebees. For now, I want to load part numbers and serial numbers, and then try manufacturing a finished product, issue it to a project, and then return it from the project and put the pieces back on the shelf - without getting caught up in the accounting part. Then, as I learn more, either start using other features or turn them off. Can you help give me some specific direction?

The company department I'm with with sells test services using custom test equipment we design and manufacture. We do not sell the equipment, we build a test instrument according to the specific needs of a client project, and then dis-assemble it and save the pieces to use use again the next time there is a suitable project. I am experimenting using ERPNext for product data management - items, BOMs, and suppliers, and for manufacturing and materials management - identifying non-controlled, serialized and batch controlled raw material, manufacturing and testing serialized sub-assemblies using the raw material, assembling and testing finished equipment, issuing serialized finished equipment and spare parts to client jobs, and finally receiving the equipment back from the client jobs, disassembling the equipment into sub-assemblies, re-testing the sub-assemblies, and then finally returning them to the stock room shelves for re-use again. We are currently working using a combination of several systems (a simple commercial part database, a custom database application for manufacturing process control, and a large number of spreadsheets). My goal is to combine the data and use ERPNext to replace all of them.

Our department is basically a small company inside of a *very* large company, which uses SAP for financial transactions. I'm interested in ERPNext because the SAP system is essentially unsuitable for us to use as I've described above (due to logistical difficulties defining, documenting, and configuring the SAP system for my particular needs, lack of staff to effectively run an SAP-based process day to day. We use SAP for sales orders, purchase orders (most of which are non-stock - i.e. there isn't a part number in SAP for the material), and for inventory management of the high-level-assembly part numbers that we have put in SAP. My vision is to use ERNext for managing the engineering and operations side of our small "company", and issue reports from ERPNext to a clerk for entering corresponding transactions in SAP when needed.

I'm starting to import item part numbers, BOMs and serial numbers from our legacy systems, and just need to know the basic financial setup needed that will support the operations I've described. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Dale

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

--

Twitter: @rushabh_mehta

Just another quick note. The way the models have been designed in ERPNext is to use Sales Order instead of a project. All the tracking - reserving finished items, raising production orders (work orders), delivery notes (shipping) are all maintained against Sales Order.

So even if your requirement is internal, you should use Sales Order.

best,
Rushabh

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Rushabh Mehta <rm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dale,

Read through your requirement. You don't need any Financial setup to do basic BOM, Inventory. You will require to specify Income and Expense heads only at the time of Invoicing.

Regarding the manual, we are working on it. We were hoping to release it this week, but some last minute changes meant that we will have to retest a lot of the new sIn the new release we have a much better setup page where the setup is organised much better. But it should be up in the coming week.

Here are some help pages you can use temporarily:

best,
Rushabh

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 2:13 AM, Dale Scott <da...@dalescott.net> wrote:
Thanks Maxwell for the information. I was hoping (rather selfishly I admit) that someone would list the 20 or so specific steps needed after "login to new system". Something like the Achievo project's Guided Tour (e.g. create admin user profile, create new admin user, edit chart of accounts with absolute minimum requirements like this....., etc.). Once I've got the basics down, I can create a QuickStart page for the project wiki (I've never actually forked a project wiki and issued a pull request for a new page, but I think it's possible), and I can't be the only person interested.

I get the feeling that accountant types just "get" how to create a new company with a basic Chart of Accounts, but that gives me the heebeejeebees. For now, I want to load part numbers and serial numbers, and then try manufacturing a finished product, issue it to a project, and then return it from the project and put the pieces back on the shelf - without getting caught up in the accounting part. Then, as I learn more, either start using other features or turn them off. Can you help give me some specific direction?

Our department is basically a small company inside of a very large company, which uses SAP for financial transactions. I'm interested in ERPNext because the SAP system is essentially unsuitable for us to use as I've described above (due to logistical difficulties defining, documenting, and configuring the SAP system for my particular needs, lack of staff to effectively run an SAP-based process day to day. We use SAP for sales orders, purchase orders (most of which are non-stock - i.e. there isn't a part number in SAP for the material), and for inventory management of the high-level-assembly part numbers that we have put in SAP. My vision is to use ERNext for managing the engineering and operations side of our small "company", and issue reports from ERPNext to a clerk for entering corresponding transactions in SAP when needed.

Thanks,
Dale

--

--

Thanks Rushabh!

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

Thanks Rushabh!

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.