Where is the most accurate manual of installing erpnext v13 on ubuntu 20.04

Every easy installation guide has subtle difference. for a novice it’s hard to tell the error free way from the fail one. Can you master give us the most straight forward one?

First of all, let me be the first to welcome you to the community. It is always great to see new interest in the project.

To answer your question I think we need to explain a little bit about the underlying variables that can affect an install process.

• First, we need to take into account that not all Ubuntu 20.04 installations are the same. This is an important factor when using public VPS service providers as your source of the operating system images. Some services offer very stripped down versions of the Ubuntu OS while others try to pack in as much as possible.

Since Frappe/ERPNext is built using dozens of other open source software packages provided by very diverse and different groups, it is not always possible to be sure that any given Ubuntu image that a VPS provider my make available will include the most recent versions of any given package (or even provide the package at all).

This is why you can find several different and subtle differences in the successful installation tutorials here on the forum. Just because your VPS service provider presents a Ubuntu 20.04 image as a ready-to-use starting point, it does not necessarily mean that the image will actually have everything you need to begin your work.

• Secondly, there are a wide variety of services providing the repositories for building the Ubuntu images that are used by most of the VPS providers. Some of these services that host the essential building blocks for making a Ubuntu server image are very meticulous about keeping their repositories up to date with the latest changes almost as they occur or at least within a few hours of any new additions. Then there are other repositories that only update their sources once a month or even less. There are also some repositories that may have questionable motives for even providing these repositories and they may not even be able to provide accurate “apt-get updates” for the images built from their repositories. I ran into this with some Ubuntu 20.04 images there were built from repositories found on yandex.ru servers. There is actually a post about this on the forum.

• And finally, there is no stable starting point for even installing a production ERPNext server. There are many, many developers adding to the ERPNext code repository every day and sometimes when a new release is announced, there will be problems due to potential conflicts between the updates provided by different contributors that were missed in the testing phase. This is not to diminish the developer team at all. It is just a side effect of the entire developer team being unpaid volunteers that just happen to love the project and contribute their time. Sometimes the testing of a patch or a new feature may not be as complete as you might find in retail software and we get the occasional errors.

Something that may also add to any negative perception is the fact the ERPNext “Easy Install” process depends on the stable availability of numerous 3rd party packages (i.e. get, redis, yarn, and many more). These packages are not under the control of the frappe/erpnext developer teams and they can also change at any moment when their own developers decide to make updates. This can happen at any time and make it seem mysterious that you were able to get a successful install this morning but could not get a successful install this afternoon even though you performed the exact same steps.

Conclusion:

It is best to just pick one install process that seems to be within your abilities and try it. If it works then use it for as long as it continues to work well for you. When it no longer works then search out and choose a different method.

For Ubuntu 20.04 you may want to check out these other posts for additional information:

And this one as well:

And if this doesn’t work for you, then try this longer method:

And if you are willing to pass on Ubuntu and try a different operating system, then consider using Debian. It is actually very compatible with Ubuntu becasue Ubuntu was derived from Debian originally. So check out this one as well:

Again, there a many, many different methods for getting a functional ERPNext server and you are correct that they all seem a bit different, but there really is no single method that will always work due to the points detailed above. So your best bet is to jump in and try what looks good and fits within your abilities.

Happy server building! :sunglasses:

BKM

2 Likes

Many Thanks to BKM for giving me a path and keep ing trying.

This worked well for me i changed few things mentioned below.

To start with I am attempting this on
Windows 11,
VirtualBox 6.1,
15GB drive,
1916 MBRam,
Latest Ubuntu Server 20.04LTS ISO,
Port forwarding: Host IP-127.0.1.1:22 Guest IP-hostname-I with port 22 for ssh access
Port forwarding: Host IP-127.0.1.1:8000 Guest IP-hostname-I with port 8000 to access the site

After Step 4

apt-get install GCC G++ make

After Step 10

mysql -u root
USE mysql;
UPDATE user SET plugin=‘mysql_native_password’ WHERE User=‘root’;
UPDATE user SET authentication_string=password(‘your_password’) WHERE user=‘root’;
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
EXIT;

After Step 17
got a missing dependency for popper.js installed that as well.

I didn’t go for production just ran it locally and it works I get too many deprecation warnings but the site is working fine. i am going to try and replicate this result on a vps using my own image.

Thanks @bkm for these steps it has been really helpful.