Which Linux OS is better for Erpnext

Hi… Good Day. Does anyone of you try to benchmark erpnext on several linux platforms like ubuntu, centos and debian. If ever which of the operating system erpnext run faster, installation procedures less errors and stability. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Any OS you can use.the installation procedures is ubuntu and debian provided by erpnext.

There does not appear to be any detectable performance advantage of one OS over any of the others. I have run ERPNext on CentOS, Ubuntu, and Debian and never found anything significantly different between them except in how easily one might install vs another.

Performance has always been tied to how much of the system resources are available to the ERPNext/Frappe installation. More memory and more CPU access, means better performance. When it comes to selecting an OS to run your server, it really comes down to what you are comfortable with from a command line perspective.

If you are running your system from a cloud VPS environment, then even virtual servers with identical configurations will perform differently because you cannot control what other virtual systems may also be hosted on the same piece of hardware. The possible variables are endless and they ALL affect performance.

So, the choice of OS is really the least of your concerns. You will never be able to notice a difference based solely on the OS.

BKM

1 Like

This is probably true from a performance standpoint.

I guess you can rely on the broadest userbase (and likewise source for help in the installation/deployment process) by using ubuntu for running frappe/ERPNext instances though.

I also believe that performance is not influenced by Linux distribution. Instead as @bkm mentioned, there are many other factors.

Regarding installation. There are (probably) more articles/posts written for Ubuntu, than other distributions. That does not mean Ubuntu installation is better/easier. Only that more material is available for reading.

Regarding stability. I don’t feel distribution is a factor. Version might be. I’d advise against installing a development or “latest” version of any operating system. When possible use an LTS version, or a version released 6 months ago or longer.

My opinion: benchmarking is a really tough project, if you want to do a fair/good job. It takes much time, effort, and a special skillset. Benchmarking an ERP is 10x the difficulty. I did benchmark work a long time ago (different ERP software). It was relatively easy to collect some “data”. But incredibly difficult to produce any kind of meaningful information or results related to the Real World.

Can it be done? Absolutely. However, there are probably few ERPNext enthusiasts (if any) with the time, budget, knowledge, and motivation (why do such a thing?) to complete a robust and fair benchmarking project.

What many of us do is install ERPNext on our favorite Linux distribution. Later, if performance issues are noticed/reported? We try to optimize and fix them. Each fix depends on the particular issue at the time. Once fixed, we move on to other work, until someday performance is an issue again. And the cycle continues.

As of now, Ubuntu 18 is the most reliable server for ERPNext version 12. You are wise to ask which distribution is reliable because using the wrong version could give you lots of headaches. For example using Ubuntu 16 will give you the unpleasant experience down the road that you will not be able to produce important reports because of some json str issue. Using Ubuntu 19 also slips during installation.

Okay Guys thank you to all of those suggestions it will be a big help the reason that i asked this is because when i try to use the image downloadable in erpnext website and run it on my virtualmachine the drop down menu or lists for any entries i made like employee, items, sales invoices etc. It seems they load faster rather than the one i install using easy install script or manual installation the quantity of entries i made on each VM are the same and im using the same hardware specifications also for these virtual machines.

Hey there. Sorry for reviving such an old thread, folks, but I need your help. I have some problems with my CentOS 7, so I’d be grateful if you advised me about a support service that could help me.

For V14, you will have more luck with Fedora 36. Lower version use Centos 7.

Hey there, mate! It’s OK. No worries about reviving an old thread - sometimes old posts still have value, you know. Sorry to hear that you’re having some issues with CentOS 7. You should check this source then https://tuxcare.com/extended-lifecycle-support/centos-7-extended-support/. They’ve been supporting my CentOS for more than a year, and it’s still fine. So, I hope this will help you. Let me know if you have any other questions left. I’ll try to help you anyway.