Why is the v12 Database changing so frequently?!?

I have noticed that the v12 database is being altered in new point version releases in ways that makes it difficult to keep up.

I had a v12.0.6 production system running that had to be recreated on a new host due to a hardware failure. When I installed v12 on the new host and restored the database from the old v12.0.6 host it crashed. There were so many differences in the database structure that is generated a HUGE log of errors.

I do not remember having problems like this on versions 9, 10, or 11. Has something changed in the rules the developers follow now that allow for such drastic changes? Or is this a matter of the system not really being ready for it’s v12 launch and how they are making the changes to fix major issues?

Regardless, it causes great anxiety just trying to keep something running when the backups create such issues.

Just my observation, and was hoping someone could enlighten me on what changed to allow for this.

BKM

BKM this sounds like a failed migration? Rather than speculate, please post the log to troubleshoot your particular case.

Are you accessing the database directly? Why should you need that in the first place?

Ok, I do not access the database directly, I only use the ERPNext tools to use the database.

As for why I do this…

If my production server goes down, then I have to setup another server somewhere. So I lease a VPS server, reinstall the ERPNext system on it and restore the last valid backups from my broken server.

In previous versions, I could do this safely and would never have a problem. However, with v12 it appears there have been several database schema changes that get in the way of being able to restore what should be valid v12 backups.

Since there is no way to get a specific point version to install (in fact I can’t even get a valid current install to work without jumping through all kinds of error fixes), the easy install script creates only the latest point version on the new system. When I restore the data from the previous system is when the crashes occur.

That should NOT happen!!

I could not even get the older v12 database to pass “bench migrate” properly in the newest install.

So I was asking why there are such drastic schema changes mid version?!? I thought such changes were the tipping point for moving up to the next full version number.

BKM

Just installed new VM
based your indication, BTW thank you!:

I was able to restore my database from v12.0.18

It was necessary because from this I cant
bench update at all:
Installed Apps
ERPNext: v12.1.8 (version-12)
Frappe Framework: v12.0.18 (version-12)

Original problem was:

May be you should use LTS version of OP system 18.04 instead of 18.10, and take care about to use the same database system in case of restore, because time to time the mariadb changes and it can cause trouble. (10.2-10.3-10.4)

Hope this helps.