[Announcement] Introducing Frappe Chat App

Hello everyone, The long-awaited release of the chat application is finally here!
Announcing Frappe Chat, a standalone application that can be easily plugged into any frappe-powered site!

This is one of my first project as an intern at Frappe so it was a ton of fun for me to develop this app and learn new things on the way.
I have tried to incorporate as many features as possible from the previous chat app.
Here are some to name a few.

Guest View
guest-view

Admin View
admin-view-3

You can easily install this app on your site to see all the features that the app has to offer.
The instructions to install this app are given in the README.md file of the chat app repository.
https://github.com/frappe/chat

The app will also be available in the Frappe marketplace soon.

I will continue to add more and more features to this app so feel free to suggest some.
Your suggestion and feedback for most welcomed. :grinning:

46 Likes

Lovely

@nihal_47 great job man… really appreciated… everyone has been waiting for this one … kudossss

@nihal_47

Thank you to put all your efforts behind this app.

Great job frappe team,

but there is an error after install app

AttributeError: type object ‘datetime.time’ has no attribute ‘fromisoformat’

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/app.py", line 68, in application
    response = frappe.api.handle()
  File "/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/api.py", line 55, in handle
    return frappe.handler.handle()
  File "/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/handler.py", line 31, in handle
    data = execute_cmd(cmd)
  File "/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/handler.py", line 67, in execute_cmd
    return frappe.call(method, **frappe.form_dict)
  File "/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/__init__.py", line 1198, in call
    return fn(*args, **newargs)
  File "/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/chat/chat/api/config.py", line 21, in settings
    config = {**config, **get_chat_settings()}
  File "/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/chat/chat/utils/__init__.py", line 89, in get_chat_settings
    start_time = datetime.time.fromisoformat(chat_settings.start_time)
AttributeError: type object 'datetime.time' has no attribute 'fromisoformat'
1 Like

thanks, everyone :slight_smile:

This is because fromisoformat is not there on python version less than 3.7. You have to upgrade your python version to atleast 3.7.

@nihal_47 Great Job!

@nihal_47 super well done!

One feature I can suggest is to make that APP run in any static site (not just frappe), where by 1000s of ERPNext users that have other digital assets (websites) can use the app and also generate leads etc directly into ERPNext from any site.

8 Likes

We use Chatwoot this way across a few different sites. It’s great, but being able to use a Frappe-based system would be incredible.

2 Likes

I also use chatwoot. But if I can have it with Frappe it is better

2 Likes

chat has few issues …

1. sending images takes a lot of time and doesn’t show loader when uploading image file… so if am sending a hd image which has 30mb size… it doesnt work just hangs…

2. also sending images and using erpnext makes erpnext hang, or very slow…

3. groups chats doesnt show who send the chat… it should show which users sent which msg…

4. can we attach documents too…

5. mobile chat view makes background scrolling too then chats.,…

6. also tag other chat users or any erp record thats the user has to mention…

i hope these testing can help @nihal_47 to make a much more perfect chat system .

pls keep up the good work buddy

2 Likes

Please post issues on github issue tracker so it’s easier to keep track of them: Issues · frappe/chat · GitHub

1 Like

Hey everyone,
I have added the ability to create direct room between any 2 users. Now no need to create a separate room for just direct chat.
Demo here.
More awesome features coming next!

2 Likes

@nihal_47 great news buddy… will test … pls get notifications done asap so we can start using it in real time with users… humble request

Awesome!

@nihal_47 how to update the chat … what command to use ?

Go to apps folder path then git pull

@mohsininspire can u pls give more detail instructions…
i login to ssh thn navigate to frappe-bench directory then what do to pls tll