[Enhancement Proposal] Add Functions to Item Cart Area in Existing Offline POS

hi,

I like it.

but where to scan barcode of item ??

The Search tab (2nd from top left) is the place for scanning barcode and search item by typing barcode number. We may use the same for typing item name. If is not possible then add another tab for it.

1 Like

Hello Everyone,

I would like to inform that we are planning to go ahead with the UI changes soon and also add a feature to check for Held invoice before day closing so there should be no invoice left in the cart at the time of closing.

If there is anything else user’s are looking for then Please feel free to inform us, If it is not a major customisation then we might consider it.
As the main issue of missing Invoice is been fixed by changing the offline POS codes to native codes, we will move ahead with the following changes

1. New UI. (Currently for Offline only, If Frappe/ERPnext can join us then we will be happy to write it for online POS also.)
  2. Plan to add Open Drawer from the UI with a report to see how many times it was opened with timestamps.
  3. Day/Shift Closing to check of draft invoices in the POS and delete the draft ones and push the Paid ones to the server. This means user Cannot close the day until all the offline invoices are synced @olamide_shodunke This should solve your issue.
  4. Add support to VFD Screen (Need someone from the Community who can help us find a way to achieve this). Current we have only done some research on JS to Serial Port Data transfer.

@rmehta , @nabinhait and @rohit_w would you like to look into this and see if there is any way we can contribute it to the core? As I had sent you a very long detailed message of all the customisation’s we are doing in Retail and Optic Store domain, but didn’t even get a single response from either of you. I understand you all are very busy, but just point us in the right direction wouldn’t take long and will be helpful for the community.

@M27 I hope everything is well with you, Haven’t seen you since sometime now. If you would like to contribute something then please do it.

Thanks.

5 Likes

It would be really nice to get some encouragement and direction from the core team when community members are putting in so much effort to improve the product. If everyone’s so busy, maybe someone should have this assigned as a KPI!

You’re always emphasizing the need for contributions …Ignoring those who actually heed that call isn’t very encouraging I think

Kind regards,

3 Likes

Hello Everyone,

We have started working on improving the POS Experience, we at Frappe have discussed and prioritised to make POS faster and along the way improve UX/UI.

The idea is to not create Sales Invoices which takes time to post GL & Stock entries on submission. Now on each sale a POS Invoice will be created and at the end of the day or on POS Closing all the POS invoices will be merged into a consolidated Sales Invoice which then posts all the respective ledger entries.

On the UI side, We are planning on refactoring (again) while not compromising the overall navigation style. Looking at the design posted in this thread, it seems that a lot of field/buttons need to be accounted for on the main screen. We may have to look at customisations or some other way to let you people change as per your need.

1 Like

@Saqib_Ansari We have reached this stage UI as of now. This has been designed based on real world users response/feedback to existing ERPNext POS, their actual needs and to ensure all the functions are available bang in front. Over past two years we have pushed ERPNext to all our customers and have improved functions wherever possible. We have seen many POS ourselves right from MS Dynamics, Wincor Nixdorf to the unknown ones. We have also sold and installed few other POS which are easy to use than ours.

This is being built on V11 and is targeted to finish by next week, hopefully.

Enhanced%20POS%20-%20Action%20Items

There has been slight modification of the POS codes and since then users have not complained about any missing invoice. In fact some to the forum users have also found it to be stable.

From your post my understanding is that all POS invoices will be in the local browser cache. Please clarify this further. Frankly, I would not go down the road of end of day sales positing until and there is a tried and tested database on local machine, something like MS SQL Express, to store the data. Its too much of risk already with offline POS even though it syncs at 3 minutes interval. Business owners want real time reports which is not possible in end of day process.

To be realistic you will need to refactor the whole POS to make impression to end users especially the retail supermarkets etc.

1 Like

Hello,

Really appreciate your response and i agree to the gl thing as were using a different ledger to post daily sales.

But can got confirm if the invoice will be posted in real time or only after day closing?

Regarding the ui changes and the additional buttons we can help the core team with that.

Feel free to DM with me for further discussion.

No. There will be another document (POS Invoice) almost similar to Sales Invoice and will be stored in the db in real-time. It will be a lot faster as no background processing will be done on submission of this intermediate invoice.

Also there will be 2 ways to process merging of POS Invoices into Sales Invoice first it can be automated on POS Closing, second way would be that a doctype which will have a table containing the references to POS Invoices which are to be merged and on submission of this document the merged Sales Invoice will be created and submitted. So basically you can create a new “Merging Process” document, add all the POS Invoices and submit it.

To clarify things, all this will be done for online POS. We have yet to finalise a decision regarding offline POS.

1 Like

If this is for online PoS then the work by @Muzzy and his team is still very relevant.

Personally no one of my locations is using online PoS because it is just not practical from an internet perspective.

I also lean towards the new UI by @Muzzy as shown above. If it can be achieved it will be a game changer for retail adópters of ERPNext. The current UI is painfully inadequate for real life retailing.

I will strongly advise team Frappe to listen to users/service providers who have real life experience in the Retail world and it’s needs.

Olamide

4 Likes

So refreshing to finally see there is hope!

Our experience has been using online POS in several clients which their number 1 concern is how slow it is and how many steps… I remember the time when we only need to use the keyboard ( Free POS Software / Free Cash Register Program. ), which is still very practical.

@fkardame is there a way to have offline POS for certain profile ?? The only reason we can’t use offline mode is because we need to generate a naming series per invoice for government regulations.

@Saqib_Ansari thank you for the follow up for all this, is there a timeline for this?

@Muzzy awesome! Are you going to merge with \fkardame version?

Yes @eagoweb Development is on the same app.

Hi @Saqib_Ansari

Thanks a lot for giving some feedback. As mentioned by other members, it would be good for the team to consider adopting some of the improvements made to the Offline POS as well. I know that Events Streaming is a major focus for offline functionality but the Offline POS will still be of great importance and value in scenarios where a full offline client is not required or where users are not so technically inclined

Cheers

Hi @wale

Is there any way to test the efficacy of this streaming events ?

Hi @olamide_shodunke,

I believe it’s been merged to the Develop branch so you can just install a test instance on Develop and test away :grinning:

Kind regards,

Lol

Have you tested it yet?

That will be V13?

Nah, hands are quite full… Yeah, Develop will become V13 when it’s ready for release I guess

Not yet. Will try putting a timeline after I finish the roadmap.

Hi @Saqib_Ansari, I hope you are doing great, is there something we can do to help you out or any other stuff you might need? I think all the users combine in this thread has a big experience on retail POS so maybe we can bring solutions to problems we see every day and at the end of the day we all want for this to succeed.

1 Like

@Muzzy Can you please let me know which specific repo/branch are you guys working on? because I’ve been looking around but can’t find the UI you presented, thanks!

Hi @eagoweb This is still in local machine. We haven’t completed the job as we had to stop for another urgent project.

Our old project is still here on which we are enhancing.