Frappe Books Update 🚀

Good evening ERPNext community, this post is an update regarding the development
of Frappe Books.

Releases :tada:

Multiple versions have been released since I last posted here in Dec 2021. With each release, Frappe Books has gotten increasingly better.

Since a lot of the bugs in Frappe Books have been ironed out over the past few releases, I can now focus more on adding new features.

In light of this, I’m hoping to release a new version every week.

If you have installed Frappe Books, you will receive an update when a new version is released.

Community :houses:

There is now a Telegram group: Frappe Books - Public that will be used for discussions as this may be more convenient as compared to using GitHub.

If you have anything to say good or bad, or any insights, feature requests, etc do join and let me know! :raised_hands:

I’ll also be using this to consult the community on which features to incorporate next.

Language Support :speaking_head:

I have enabled support for translations in the latest release and added three languages: Portuguese, French, and German.

Since I’m inept at all languages other than English, I had to rely on machine translations, so they may not be accurate.

If there are any fluent speakers who would like to contribute to the translations do check this wiki: Contributing Translations.

Your contributions will be highly appreciated; if you’re located around here, I’ll even get you coffee or beer! :grin:

Blog :writing_hand:

There’s also a dev blog where I (sporadically) write posts about the development process: Frappe Books - Tech

Frappe Books is a desktop accounting app for small businesses and freelancers. If you haven’t checked it, do give it a try: Frappe Books - Download

Other Links

23 Likes

I am sorry if I sound like a bad guy in this post.

I have not followed Frappe Books because I cannot seem to understand the use case.

Almost all accounting applications that used to be desktop are finding their way to the cloud.

Maybe if I know what the end game for Frappe Cloud is ? Do you plan to find a way of making the desktop app talk to and exchange data with ERPNext in the cloud? Aside from this I do not seem to see a business case for a desktop accounting app in 2022, every solution provider is migrating their legacy accounting apps to the cloud.

I may be misguided though, educate me

Olamide

1 Like

Does Frappe Books communicate with ERPNext?

Thank you!

For now, it does not

Not at all a bad guy, it’s a reasonable question :slight_smile:

You are right, in being a free Desktop app, there is no business model for Frappe Books.

But this doesn’t mean that people are not using it. The app is receiving some downloads (ref), so we know there is a need that we can satisfy with this product.

If people had no need for a desktop accounting app, there would be extremely few or no downloads.

There are no concrete business plans (i.e. making money) for it right now, but it doesn’t mean there never will be. For instance, if we have to support multiple users, the cloud is required. That’s one business model.

We are still experimenting with Frappe Books and we don’t know where it will go.

One thing that will never change is Frappe Books will always come in a desktop variant that will be free to use.

3 Likes

I am personally using it for my personal daily expense as an expense tracker. Also, I am running a small business aside. This version is very handy. It is easy to use and simple.

2 Likes

I love the approach to have Dashboard workspace on top of the side menu. It should be the first thing to open.
I wish this is adopted by ERPNext also.

4 Likes

Has anyone else on Windows using Chrome had a hard time downloading it due to “Virus deducted” error ?

Its a very good app have used it but its for small small organisations

Aw man, I had cross-checked the windows binary for virus false positives, don’t know how it slipped through (ref)… :expressionless:

What version are you getting this on, the last version I know of where this happened was v0.0.4-beta.2

I was getting the error on Frappe-Books-Setup-0.2.0-beta.0 Setup version, when I installed the Portable version it worked. However, today both are working fine.

1 Like

I second this.

I just downloaded frappe Books looks amazing, great work.

1 Like

Does frappe books connect with erpnext ? I want to be able to share data with my erpnext installation.