General Ledger for SINV doesn't list payment - bug or feature?

I have a Sales invoice plus a Peyment entry that is linked to that as advance payment.

Now when I open the General Ledger filtered by that Sales invoice I only see 2 entries reflecting the Sales Invoice

1. a Debit on my Debtors account (a/r)
  2. a Credit for my Sales account

the Payment Entry only is listed when I remove the SINV filter and filter by the customer related to this instead

Sounds not logical to me. Should I open an issue for this or can someone more knowledgeable kindly explain how this is a feature?

Hello,

As per your scenario, payment entry is booked when you created Payment Entry/Journal Entry for the advance payment.

When Advance Payment is adjusted in the Sales Invoice, it reduces Outstanding Amount of Sales Invoice by the Advance Payment Allocated against Sales Invoice.

To check affect of payment entry in the General Ledger of Sales Invoice, create POS Invoice.

That (if I understand you correctly which I am not 100% sure off) does not really make sense to me

Why would it make a difference whether my invoice is a ‘normal’ or a ‘POS’ Sales Invoice?
In both cases you should be able to see the payment in the General Ledger of any SINV.

Any other input in this?

No.

In case of Sales Invoice where advance payment is adjusted, on submission of sales invoice, no bank/cash account is affected. In this case, system only adds reference of Sales Invoice in the Payment Entry and reduces Outstanding of Sales Invoice.

In case of POS Invoice, payment entry is made from the Sales Invoice itself. With the impact on Customer and Income account, posting is also done in the bank/cash account as soon as Sales Invoice is submitted.

I feel we night have a different understanding of the term ‘POS’ in the context of this Topic.

My understanding of POS Invoice in the context of ERPNext in general and this topic in particular is that you mark ‘Is POS’ when making a “New Sales Invoice” right below the ‘Customer’ field and nothing else.

Do you have the same understanding on your side or do you mean something beyond that when you say ‘POS’ here?

I did some more testing and that’s my understanding so far (to be updated)

Sales Invoice … (wip)

• ‘Is POS’ = unmarked
  • Payments for such a (regular) SINV can be made in several way.
    ~From within the Invoice (creates a “Payment Entry” (which is separated accounting entry (a ‘Voucher’ in ERPNext Terminology) which can be found in ‘Payment Entry List’
    ~2) Generatin a standalone ‘Payment Entry’ and link this to the SINV (REFERENCE section of the ‘Payment Entry’ Form)
    ~3) Generating a Journal Entry

POS Sales Invoice … (wip)

• ‘Is POS’ = marked
  • payment (to Cash account) is automatically booked on “Submit”
  • no “Payment Entry” for this payment is generated though
  • Filtering the General Ledger by a POS SINV the Invoice aswell as the auto-generated payment are listed
  • so, logically the payment is not separate accounting entry but contained in the POS SINV itself !!! The fact that the auto-generated payment for a POS SINV is logically a part of the invoice itself is also the reason it shows on the Ledger for the POS SINV (while payments for regular SINV are not shown). For me this is an eye opening insight to understand the mechanics of this matter

for everybodie’s clarity … I have just started to explore how a Sales Cycle (Quotation, Sales Invoice, Sales Order, Payment Entry, Delivery Note, Packing Slip, …) is connected, which Documents are mandatory, and how to process things in a way they fit our use case

1 Like

@vrms your understanding is correct now :bulb: