How can I make changes to a production order during production?

We mix chemicals to produce end products. Sometimes the mixing process takes longer than the usual time. This can be due to humidity that day or even the outside temperature. So we want to create production orders without a time constraint. Is that possible?

The same ambient variables will also force us to change the actual recipe in order to get the end product right. This means adding more or less of an ingredient in order to keep the ph or other measurements correct. How can we alter that info in the production order (during the actual production) so the correct amount of ingredients is deducted from the raw materials inventory?

We start with a BOM and a recipe, but changes are almost always needed during the production to account for the ambient variables or even differences in the batches of raw ingredients we receive. This is not a “occasional” issue. This is a daily thing for our production line.

I just cannot see how to make these changes. Can anyone point me to where this can be done?

Thanks,

BKM

We mix chemicals to produce end products. Sometimes the mixing process
takes longer than the usual time. This can be due to humidity that day
or even the outside temperature. So we want to create production orders
without a time constraint. Is that possible?

In the Production Order, time for operations is only based on estimation. You can update actual time taken in the Timesheet. This will also help you track extra time taken to complete the operation.

The same ambient variables will also force us to change the actual
recipe in order to get the end product right. This means adding more or
less of an ingredient in order to keep the ph or other measurements
correct. How can we alter that info in the production order (during the
actual production) so the correct amount of ingredients is deducted from
the raw materials inventory?

To be able to select raw-material items which are not part of BOM, do this setting in your Manufacturing Settings.

1. Manufacturing > Manufacturing Settings
  2. Backflush Raw Materials Based On = “Material Transferred for Manufacture”
  3. Save Manufacturing Settings.

Hmm… I think maybe I didn’t express the problem properly.

I am more interested in altering the quantity of a component used from a BOM during production.

For example: If the humidity is high that day I add more thickening agent than a low humidity day. The thickening agent is already listed on the BOM but the quantity is not sufficient for the high humidity day that the product is in production. On that day, while mixing the ingredients, I need to alter the production order to record the proper amount of thickening agent used so it is deducted from inventory correctly. With my current ERP system, I just change the quantity on the production order before I set it to completed and everything updates correctly.

I just do not see how to do that on the ERPNext production order.

As for the selecting of materials that were not part of the original BOM, that would be very useful and I can make the changes in the manufacturing settings you suggested, but then how do I add items to the production order if we realize it is needed during the actual production run?

Our chemists are very good at thinking quickly to save batches of product from being wasted. I just want to figure out how to give them the ability to do that on the fly while not creating a great deal of paper work. I believe it is possible to alter the production order, I just have not figured out how. It may be very simple and I am just not seeing it on the screen somewhere.

Thanks

BKM