How to deal with item have more than one packing

I have an item like a mug
we manufacturing it in different packing like (Box, Pallet, Carton, Giftbox)

how to implement that with manufacturing in erpnext
and how to create a serial number for every packing
and we do not manufacture mug by mug we manufacturing by pallet or box

1 Like

I have the impression that Product Bundle is the way to go for that case

If I understand correctly, both the mug and the packing are different products that are tight together

So, the Bundle

Mug Box

• 1 Mug
  • 1 Box

Regarding the serial number, I would suggest you to serialize the Mug

I suggest placing Each packing type under its own Item Code.
Use BOM and Work Order under Manufacturing. You can have serial numbers for every packing.
You can also use BOM to convert one packaging to another if necessary.

let me explain more
1= mug box= 48 mug pallet = 2500 mug every packing have stock qty
if I try to serialize one box, it will generate 48 serial number!

I try to use variants but it allows me to use one default uom

and we do not manufacture mug by mug we manufacturing by pallet or box

You mean every packing will be created as single item code

I think the best way forward would be to set multiple unit of measure. Let the default UOM be the lowest. You can later put in the UOM table the conversions in accordance.

It’s better to have barcodes instead of serial numbers, you can set multiple barcodes in the barcode table of the item.

But we do not manufacturing mug by mug we manufacturing by pallet or box

Yes. Consider Each packing a separate item so it is easy for you to place serial numbers on those individual packing types.

Clarification:
Each packing type will be 1 Item Code:

1. Box packing Item Code
  2. Pallet packing Item Code
  3. Carton packing Item Code
  4. Giftbox packing Item Code

For each item code, you can generate individual serial numbers.

1 Like

I agree, but I’m sure ultimately the thing going into these packages are mugs, right?

Can I know the reason behind using serial numbers?

We have similar problem. In manufacturing, each item is finally packed into a box, carton, or pallet, and each packing item should have it’s on serial number. For example. 1 mug is placed in a carton, and that carton is assigned a unique number. The same carton is then placed on a pallet, which in turn gets another serial number.

ERPNext does not seem to have any out-of-the-box solution for this.

If we are to create a new item, e.g. an item for Carton (containing 48 mugs per carton), then our inventory starts will show 1 Carton but I won’t know how many mugs are in stock.

I’m hoping one of the ERPNext gurus can shed light on this. @umair @JayRam

This was an earlier post on this issue which was closed without a solution: Handling Bale Packing In ERPNext

GS1 has a good illustration on Packaging levels are required for Good Manufacturing Practices (uses in pharmaceuticals, medicine and food industry). Source: https://www.gs1.org/docs/healthcare/position-papers/Discussion-paper-on-medicines-identification-requirements-on-primary-level-packaging-using-GS1-standards-final.pdf

I’m still not sure how ERPNext can implement packaging levels for better identification and traceability in the virtual world.

1 Like

SAP calls this concept “Handling Units” which can be nested in each other.

https://help.sap.com/viewer/248c3cdd7e6548999a7f5b95118f4522/6.17.17/en-US/4134bb536b13b44ce10000000a174cb4.html

The handling unit can be serialized, and these serial numbers are used in delivery documents.

any solution for this problem?

have u solved this problem?

@saifi0102 has developed a solution, but it is not contributed back to the core.

@beecool
@abidomar
May be this post will help you.

1 Like

Thank you for your input @hafiz4saqib, but as far as I’ve understood the problem, your linked solution seems to be unrelated.

I believe the issue has always been how to “connect” different Items and let ERPNext track the Stock of all of them.

For example:

• we buy Mugs from a supplier to re-sell them
    • hence, we have an Item Mugs and we want to track Stock
  • but we buy Mugs on pallets from our suppliers
    • each Pallet has a Serial Number and Barcode
    • each Pallet contains 20 Boxes
      • each Box has a Serial Number and Barcode
      • each Box container 48 Mugs

And at the end of the day, we want ERPNext to track the Stock of:

1. Pallets
  2. Boxes
  3. Mugs

And we want to be able to say: "I have Box XYZ with Serial No 12345, ERPNext, show me the Pallet this Box belonged to and all the other Boxes from this Pallet.

I believe this is a fairly common use-case and the Data Model is not complicated. However, I and I believe @Ashraf_El_Sharqawy as well as @Joseph_Marie_Alba1 and @shakeel_viam1 are wondering rather ERPNext is able to do this.

It would really great if you or someone else could help us out here. :slightly_smiling_face:

Stock Entry of type “Repacking”? This could help with converting mugs to cartons to boxes.
And maybe some custom fields in the Sl.No or Batch No. doctype to capture the Pallet/Carton/Box IDs so you can filter them out there?