Raspberry Pi 4 as ERPNext server

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/

Just wanted to share the above news:

Now that the Pi is getting 2G and 4G RAM models, and a faster processor, it has become a viable option to run ERPNext server and that would open interesting use cases in SMEs

Maybe time for an officially supported ERPNext image for the Pi, like the .ova?

4 Likes

I think ARM Processors may not support ERPNext…

We have tried to install on the RPi 3 - the main issue is that the required version of MariaDB is not available for the ARM processor.

It can be compiled, but we have yet to find the time to do that.

Yes I too tried in Raspberry Pi 3 B+. Yarn packages also not properly installed…

I’m very excited about this idea, especially from the MSME angle, and have been running few tests. So far, on a clean raspbian install, MariaDB should be installed without any hitches (provided that the original repos are unchanged).

I would have to assume that the problem with installation of MariaDB is specifically isolated for the case of ERPNext repos being used, that still might be pointing to x86 or x64 versions. I would assume one has to pre-install MariaDB and override the system installation, or modify the repo for the appropriate MariaDB version in the ERPNext package files.

Can anyone of you confirm this assumption on your individual Raspberry Pi installations?

Regards,
Rohit Banerjee

Even If we are able to install erpnext on any SBC for this size it will still be not be able to run as production due to its performance during high item quantity and during it document submission. Maybe I am wrong as I was able to run many heavy applicable as dekstop environment on aarch64 devices.

I would like to tinker with this idea as I have many SBC which I develop linux for. Also mariadb have aarch64 available and even yarn. I was thinking to try it myself but it needs a lot of time and patience.

I am very keen on checking out the performance on RPi 4B, specifically on the newer architecture, which has improved a lot. There will always be a challenge with the overall shared bus speed on such tiny SBC devices, but for MSME organizations, it shouldn’t be too much of a trouble.

In fact, I’m working on a platform design, specifically meant for running ERPNext on RPi 4B for MSME with budget components, with adequate security measures.

Details at GitHub - MAGE-IT/Secure-Perimeter-Network-Design-Diagram: Designing security of wireless network implementations, integration with overall network design, technical design for a secure perimeter network, overall architecture, types and functions of security and other elements, specific security policies of the border router and firewall, practical implementation of defense-indepth and solid network design that can be used as a model for any small to medium sized business.

2 Likes

The security measures are already in place. Can you try to deploy it on an sbc and share the result?

I can try it too but I have many other things in hand. Also it can be used in clusters using celery where you can deploy like 3 sbc and share the processing.

I have khadas vim 3 so far the most powerful in arm sbc if you can confirm that most of the dependencies can be install on arm then I can give it a try too.

That’s a fantastic idea! However, IMHO I think the other infrastructural support, (i.e Gigabit routing, etc.) would not just increase the complexity but also the costs (compared to getting an APU-based PC Engine bare metal board).

Thats exactly what I’m trying to consolidate; ERPNext perhaps only ensures AppSec (Appplication-level security measures). But in real-life, the implementation requires NetSec, OSSec, etc. as well, to be called really secure. MSME organizations are espcially prone to cyber risks due to the lack of foundation level security measures, but falsely rely on just AppSec.

Check out my planned NetSec, OSSec and AppSec activities planned around ERPNext, in the upcoming months, that will be released open-source: Projects · MAGE-IT · GitHub

I would like to invite others to contribute their inputs, comments and suggestions as well.

3 Likes

Is it viable to use Raspberry Pi’s for ERPNext now?

if you build container image with custom apps on arm64 machine it’ll take 10-15 min. It’ll work on arm64 machine.

1 Like