EDIT: GitHub issue

Errors… YAY!

Brief overview of my troubles:

• Ran bench start
  • Visited http://localhost:8000/ and logged in as Administrator
  • Completed setup and clicked on Complete Setup button
  • Waiting… then:
    Message\n There were errors.

Here is a picture of the error screen, console and a gist of the server console while doing this:

https://gist.github.com/ratskin/9122d3665a4ac5cdc62303f7cdba53eb

My relevant system stats
  • macOS Sierra
  • Frappe/ERPNext v7 develop branch
  • Fresh install of Bench and Frappe.
  • Old MariaDB/MySQL installation from previous attempts at this. Dropped all databases.

EDIT:
I have reproduced this on a Ubuntu machine as well.
This still persists with v8

Full list of the relevant commands I ran previous to this
git clone https://github.com/frappe/bench bench-repo
sudo pip install -e bench-repo
bench init frappe-bench && cd frappe-bench
bench get-app erpnext https://github.com/frappe/erpnext
bench new-site site1.local
bench --site site1.local install-app erpnext
bench start

I have also tried to install frappe-bench on an ubuntu server virtual box, I was getting the same errors. I have been having these errors for the past 5 days

If anyone has any suggestions, help, questions, or comments, I would appreciate them.

p.s. I think the error screen is quite boring, it could be made better with haiku

1 Like

Similar post: Setup wizard fails

Just tried again, still the same. Can anyone help with this?

Seems to be a problem loading http://35.185.109.1:9000/socket.io/?EIO=3&transport=polling&t=1490794093971-1

@ratskin.

I just completed two installs on Virtualbox clean VMs Ubuntu 14.04 and Ubuntu 16.10 and based on other previous installs these are the takeaways I can share if they help

1. Naming the user when creating the VM other the frappe, somehow caused issues, so I’ve always opted to stick with that and all the installs I’ve done have been without any hiccups because of this one factor.
  2. One issue I had when installing on Ubuntu 16.10 was nameservers, which I changed at /etc/resolvr.conf and second install was seamless.
  3. I used this for the install sudo python install.py --production

I continued the setup for both and did not have any issues.

As for installing on a Mac. I initially had some issues as well. It was only after I used Homebrew to install all the required dependencies and then used the same set of commands you have outlined above did I successfully install on macOS Sierra, prior to that I was not getting beyond the installer. One major issue I had with installing on Mac was that supervisorctl, was not installed for some reason and had to install that manually.

I also compared your bench start to what I have here and there does not seem to be anything out of the ordinary.

Do a bench doctor and see what you get, might show something.

Regards

This is the complete second install script after I had changed the nameservers

frappe@erpnext:~$ sudo python install.py --production
[sudo] password for frappe:
Hit:1 http://nyc2.mirrors.digitalocean.com/mariadb/repo/10.1/ubuntu yakkety InRelease
Get:2 Index of /ubuntu yakkety-security InRelease [102 kB]
Hit:3 http://my.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu yakkety InRelease
Get:4 http://my.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu yakkety-updates InRelease [102 kB]
Hit:5 https://deb.nodesource.com/node_6.x yakkety InRelease
Get:6 http://my.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu yakkety-backports InRelease [102 kB]
Fetched 306 kB in 6s (48.2 kB/s)
Reading package lists… Done
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
build-essential is already the newest version (12.1ubuntu2).
git is already the newest version (1:2.9.3-1).
libffi-dev is already the newest version (3.2.1-6).
python-dev is already the newest version (2.7.11-2).
python-setuptools is already the newest version (26.1.1-1).
libssl-dev is already the newest version (1.0.2g-1ubuntu9.1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 100 not upgraded.
The directory ‘/home/frappe/.cache/pip/http’ or its parent directory is not owned by the current user and the cache has been disabled. Please check the permissions and owner of that directory. If executing pip with sudo, you may want sudo’s -H flag.
The directory ‘/home/frappe/.cache/pip’ or its parent directory is not owned by the current user and caching wheels has been disabled. check the permissions and owner of that directory. If executing pip with sudo, you may want sudo’s -H flag.
Requirement already up-to-date: setuptools in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
Requirement already up-to-date: pip in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
Requirement already up-to-date: six>=1.6.0 in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from setuptools)
Requirement already up-to-date: appdirs>=1.4.0 in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from setuptools)
Requirement already up-to-date: packaging>=16.8 in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from setuptools)
Requirement already up-to-date: pyparsing in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from packaging>=16.8->setuptools)
The directory ‘/home/frappe/.cache/pip/http’ or its parent directory is not owned by the current user and the cache has been disabled. Please check the permissions and owner of that directory. If executing pip with sudo, you may want sudo’s -H flag.
The directory ‘/home/frappe/.cache/pip’ or its parent directory is not owned by the current user and caching wheels has been disabled. check the permissions and owner of that directory. If executing pip with sudo, you may want sudo’s -H flag.
Requirement already satisfied: ansible==2.0.2.0 in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
Requirement already satisfied: paramiko in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from ansible==2.0.2.0)
Requirement already satisfied: jinja2 in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from ansible==2.0.2.0)
Requirement already satisfied: PyYAML in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from ansible==2.0.2.0)
Requirement already satisfied: setuptools in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from ansible==2.0.2.0)
Requirement already satisfied: pycrypto>=2.6 in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from ansible==2.0.2.0)
Requirement already satisfied: pyasn1>=0.1.7 in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from paramiko->ansible==2.0.2.0)
Requirement already satisfied: cryptography>=1.1 in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from paramiko->ansible==2.0.2.0)
Requirement already satisfied: MarkupSafe>=0.23 in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from jinja2->ansible==2.0.2.0)
Requirement already satisfied: six>=1.6.0 in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from setuptools->ansible==2.0.2.0)
Requirement already satisfied: appdirs>=1.4.0 in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from setuptools->ansible==2.0.2.0)
Requirement already satisfied: packaging>=16.8 in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from setuptools->ansible==2.0.2.0)
Requirement already satisfied: idna>=2.1 in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from cryptography>=1.1->paramiko->ansible==2.0.2.0)
Requirement already satisfied: asn1crypto>=0.21.0 in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from cryptography>=1.1->paramiko->ansible==2.0.2.0)
Requirement already satisfied: enum34 in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from cryptography>=1.1->paramiko->ansible==2.0.2.0)
Requirement already satisfied: ipaddress in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from cryptography>=1.1->paramiko->ansible==2.0.2.0)
Requirement already satisfied: cffi>=1.4.1 in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from cryptography>=1.1->paramiko->ansible==2.0.2.0)
Requirement already satisfied: pyparsing in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from packaging>=16.8->setuptools->ansible==2.0.2.0)
Requirement already satisfied: pycparser in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from cffi>=1.4.1->cryptography>=1.1->paramiko->ansible==2.0.2.0)
Cloning into ‘/tmp/.bench’…
remote: Counting objects: 167, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (149/149), done.
remote: Total 167 (delta 3), reused 89 (delta 0), pack-reused 0
Receiving objects: 100% (167/167), 7.06 MiB | 1.36 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (3/3), done.
Checking connectivity… done.
[WARNING]: Host file not found: /etc/ansible/hosts

[WARNING]: provided hosts list is empty, only localhost is available

PLAY [localhost] ***************************************************************

TASK [setup] *******************************************************************
ok: [localhost]

TASK [Create user] *************************************************************

TASK [Set home folder perms] ***************************************************

TASK [Set home folder perms] ***************************************************
skipping: [localhost]

TASK [Set /tmp/.bench folder perms] ********************************************
changed: [localhost]
[WARNING]: Consider using file module with owner rather than running chown

PLAY RECAP *********************************************************************
localhost : ok=4 changed=1 unreachable=0 failed=0

Please enter mysql root password:
Re-enter mysql root password:
Please enter the default Administrator user password:
Re-enter Administrator password:
Passwords saved at ~/passwords.txt
[WARNING]: Host file not found: /etc/ansible/hosts

[WARNING]: provided hosts list is empty, only localhost is available

PLAY [localhost] ***************************************************************

TASK [setup] *******************************************************************

TASK [install prequisites] *****************************************************
skipping: [localhost] => (item=cmake)
skipping: [localhost] => (item=redis)
skipping: [localhost] => (item=mariadb)
skipping: [localhost] => (item=nodejs)

TASK [cask installs] ***********************************************************
skipping: [localhost] => (item=wkhtmltopdf)

TASK [include] *****************************************************************

TASK [include] *****************************************************************

TASK [install prequisites] *****************************************************
ok: [localhost] => (item=[u’build-essential’, u’redis-server’, u’software-properties-common’, u’libxrender1’, u’libxext6’, u’xfonts-75dpi’, u’xfonts-base’, u’libjpeg8-dev’, u’zlib1g-dev’, u’libfreetype6-dev’, u’liblcms2-dev’, u’libwebp-dev’, u’python-tk’, u’apt-transport-https’, u’libsasl2-dev’, u’libldap2-dev’])

TASK [install pillow prerequisites for Ubuntu < 14.04] *************************
skipping: [localhost] => (item=[])

TASK [install pillow prerequisites for Ubuntu >= 14.04] ************************
ok: [localhost] => (item=[u’libtiff5-dev’, u’tcl8.6-dev’, u’tk8.6-dev’])

TASK [Add apt key for node repo] ***********************************************

TASK [Add repo] ****************************************************************

TASK [Install nodejs 6.x] ******************************************************

included: /tmp/.bench/playbooks/develop/includes/mariadb_ubuntu.yml for localhost

TASK [Add apt key for mariadb for Ubuntu < 16.04] ******************************

TASK [Add apt key for mariadb for Ubuntu >= 16.04] *****************************

TASK [Add apt repository] ******************************************************

TASK [Unattended package installation] *****************************************

TASK [apt-get install] *********************************************************
ok: [localhost] => (item=[u’mariadb-server’, u’mariadb-client’, u’mariadb-common’, u’libmariadbclient-dev’])

included: /tmp/.bench/playbooks/develop/includes/wkhtmltopdf.yml for localhost

TASK [download wkthmltox linux] ************************************************

TASK [Creates directory] *******************************************************

TASK [unarchive wkhtmltopdf] ***************************************************

TASK [copy to /usr/local/bin] **************************************************

TASK [make wkhtmltopdf executable] *********************************************

included: /tmp/.bench/playbooks/develop/includes/setup_mariadb.yml for localhost

TASK [Install MySQLdb in global env] *******************************************

TASK [Add configuration] *******************************************************

TASK [restart mysql linux] *****************************************************

TASK [Set root Password] *******************************************************

TASK [add launchagents folder mac] *********************************************

TASK [add mysql to mac startup] ************************************************

TASK [stop mysql mac] **********************************************************

TASK [start mysql mac] *********************************************************

TASK [debug] *******************************************************************
ok: [localhost] => {
“run_travis”: false
}

included: /tmp/.bench/playbooks/develop/includes/setup_bench.yml for localhost

TASK [Check if /tmp/.bench exists] *********************************************

TASK [Check if bench_repo_path exists] *****************************************

TASK [move /tmp/.bench if it exists] *******************************************

TASK [install bench] ***********************************************************

TASK [Check whether bench exists] **********************************************

TASK [init bench] **************************************************************

TASK [setup config] ************************************************************

TASK [install frappe app] ******************************************************

TASK [development tools package] ***********************************************

TASK [Import Node source RPM key] **********************************************

TASK [Add Node Repo] ***********************************************************

TASK [Install nodejs] **********************************************************

TASK [Add dotdeb apt repository key for Debian < 8] ****************************

TASK [Add dotdeb apt repository for redis-server for Debian < 8] ***************

TASK [install pillow prerequisites for Debian < 8] *****************************

TASK [install pillow prerequisites for Debian >= 8] ****************************

TASK [Add apt key for node repo] ***********************************************

TASK [Add repo] ****************************************************************

TASK [Install nodejs 6.x] ******************************************************

TASK [debug] *******************************************************************

TASK [Add nginx apt repository key for Debian < 8] *****************************

TASK [Add nginx apt repository for Debian < 8] *********************************

TASK [Install production pre-requisites] ***************************************
changed: [localhost] => (item=[u’nginx’, u’screen’, u’vim’, u’htop’, u’git’, u’postfix’, u’supervisor’])

TASK [Install production pre-requisites] ***************************************

TASK [Install supervisor using yum for Centos 7] *******************************

TASK [Rename default nginx.conf to nginx.conf.old] *****************************

TASK [Copy the nginx_config template] ******************************************

TASK [Reload the nginx service] ************************************************

TASK [Set InnoDB buffer pool] **************************************************

TASK [Set InnoDB buffer pool] **************************************************

TASK [Enable nginx, mysql, and redis] ******************************************
ok: [localhost] => (item=nginx)
ok: [localhost] => (item=mysql)

TASK [Enable redis.service on centos] ******************************************

TASK [Enable redis-server.service on ubuntu] ***********************************

TASK [Check whether default supervisor.conf exists] ****************************

TASK [Check whether default supervisor.conf exists] ****************************

TASK [insert/update inputrc for history] ***************************************

TASK [Check whether a site exists] *********************************************

TASK [Create new site] *********************************************************

TASK [Check ERPNext App exists] ************************************************

TASK [Get-app erpnext app] *****************************************************

TASK [Install erpnext app] *****************************************************

TASK [Change permissions for frappe home folder] *******************************

TASK [Setup production] ********************************************************

TASK [Setup Sudoers] ***********************************************************

TASK [Restart the bench] *******************************************************

PLAY RECAP *********************************************************************
localhost : ok=57 changed=26 unreachable=0 failed=0

Frappe/ERPNext has been successfully installed!

@saidsl.

Thank you for the assistance. Responding inline:

I have also found this on my previous installs. Now, I never specify the user, I either just install for the current user, or I install production and then convert to development.

I haven’t found that an issue yet, but I did just check:

~$ cat /etc/resolvr.conf
cat: /etc/resolvr.conf: No such file or directory

I also just tried this. See here

bench doctor log
frappe@ubuntu-erpnext-dev:~/frappe-bench$ bench doctor
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/runpy.py", line 162, in _run_module_as_main
    "__main__", fname, loader, pkg_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/runpy.py", line 72, in _run_code
    exec code in run_globals
  File "/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/utils/bench_helper.py", line 79, in <module>
    main()
  File "/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/utils/bench_helper.py", line 16, in main
    click.Group(commands=commands)(prog_name='bench')
  File "/home/frappe/frappe-bench/env/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/click/core.py", line 722, in __call__
    return self.main(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/frappe/frappe-bench/env/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/click/core.py", line 697, in main
    rv = self.invoke(ctx)
  File "/home/frappe/frappe-bench/env/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/click/core.py", line 1066, in invoke
    return _process_result(sub_ctx.command.invoke(sub_ctx))
  File "/home/frappe/frappe-bench/env/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/click/core.py", line 1066, in invoke
    return _process_result(sub_ctx.command.invoke(sub_ctx))
  File "/home/frappe/frappe-bench/env/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/click/core.py", line 895, in invoke
    return ctx.invoke(self.callback, **ctx.params)
  File "/home/frappe/frappe-bench/env/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/click/core.py", line 535, in invoke
    return callback(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/commands/scheduler.py", line 121, in doctor
    return _doctor(site=site)
  File "/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/utils/doctor.py", line 97, in doctor
    workers_online = check_number_of_workers()
  File "/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/utils/doctor.py", line 85, in check_number_of_workers
    return len(get_workers())
  File "/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/utils/doctor.py", line 11, in get_workers
    workers = Worker.all()
  File "/home/frappe/frappe-bench/env/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/rq/worker.py", line 101, in all
    reported_working = connection.smembers(cls.redis_workers_keys)
  File "/home/frappe/frappe-bench/env/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/redis/client.py", line 1532, in smembers
    return self.execute_command('SMEMBERS', name)
  File "/home/frappe/frappe-bench/env/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/redis/client.py", line 578, in execute_command
    connection.send_command(*args)
  File "/home/frappe/frappe-bench/env/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/redis/connection.py", line 563, in send_command
    self.send_packed_command(self.pack_command(*args))
  File "/home/frappe/frappe-bench/env/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/redis/connection.py", line 538, in send_packed_command
    self.connect()
  File "/home/frappe/frappe-bench/env/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/redis/connection.py", line 442, in connect
    raise ConnectionError(self._error_message(e))
redis.exceptions.ConnectionError: Error 111 connecting to localhost:11000. Connection refused.

My mistake should be sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf
I changed mine to google DNS server 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Looking at the error log from bench doctor, looks like it will be easier to just wipe your Ubuntu and start from scratch. I did the following today and did not have any issues, I was testing this on Ubuntu 16.10

1. sudo apt-get update and added user frappe to sudoers
  2. sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf (only applies to Ubuntu 16.10 for some reason)–> set to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
  3. sudo apt-get install python-minimal - version is Python 2.7.12+
  4. wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/frappe/bench/master/playbooks/install.py
  5. sudo python install.py --production

Regards
Said

We able to reproduce the issue, will fix this asap

Hi @saurabh6790,

I’m glad you could reproduce this and that it will be fixed soon. Hopefully before the release of V8.

I saw here you posted:

I don’t understand your temporary solution. How do I re-install a site by starting bench?
Do you mean to do this:

~$ cd frappe-bench
~/frappe-bench$ bench reinstall {name_of_site}

or do you mean

~$ cd frappe-bench
~/frappe-bench$ bench start

Thank you

p.s. it may be better to respond in the other topic, up to you (of course).

@saidsl.

sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf

shouldn’t that be:

sudo nano /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base

based on How do I include lines in resolv.conf that won't get lost on reboot? - Ask Ubuntu?

I have just started a new VM instance running Ubuntu 16.10 (I was running 14.04 before).
I’ll try your steps above, and report back once complete.

Thank you

@saidsl.

I just completed what you suggested on a new Ubuntu 16.10 Google VM:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo adduser frappe
sudo usermod -aG sudo frappe
sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf
sudo apt-get install python-minimal && python -V # was 2.7.12+
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/frappe/bench/master/playbooks/install.py
sudo python install.py --production

I received no errors through out the whole process. Then I converted to development with these commands:

bench switch-to-develop
rm config/supervisor.conf
rm config/nginx.conf
sudo service nginx stop
sudo service supervisor stop
bench setup procfile
bench start

I visited {my_server_ip}:8000 and completed the setup. After clicking on Complete Setup button, I am still getting same errors. :worried:

@saurabh6790.

Just tried your temporary solution as I understand it:

~/frappe-bench$ bench reinstall
~/frappe-bench$ bench update
~/frappe-bench$ bench start

Still same errors…

Waiting on the upcoming fix

@ratskin

I just tested what you did by changing the install on the 16.10 to develop and everything is working fine.

The difference with what you did?

1. I completed the setup first than switched to develop
  2. bench switch-to-develop
  3. I ran bench update --patch
  4. rm config/supervisor.conf
  5. rm config/nginx.conf
  6. sudo service nginx stop
  7. sudo service supervisor stop
  8. bench setup procfile
  9. bench start

Should you want to revert back to Production

Here is what I did:

frappe@erpnext:~/frappe-bench$ sudo supervisorctl reload
Restarted supervisord
frappe@erpnext:~/frappe-bench$ sudo service nginx start
frappe@erpnext:~/frappe-bench$ sudo bench setup production frappe
supervisor.conf already exists and this will overwrite it. Do you want to continue? [y/N]: y
Port configuration list:

Site site1.local assigned port: 80
nginx.conf already exists and this will overwrite it. Do you want to continue? [y/N]: y
No config updates to processes
nginx: the configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf syntax is ok
nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test is successful
frappe@erpnext:~/frappe-bench$

Hi,

Was anybody able to resolve these issues? I have been facing it for the last 1 week, and haven’t been able to resolve it even after formatting the disk, and going back to Ubuntu 14.04.

Only message is “There were errors.”

Regards
Uma

Hello @UmaG,

This issue hasn’t been resolved yet (to my knowledge), see here. But I have been able to subvert it (I think) by updating to V8 of ERPNext.

Thanks @ratskin for the response.

When I installed ERPNext, it installed Version 8 only, but is still giving the same errors… :frowning:

Regards
Uma

Is there any updates on this?,

Yet another connected post: [Mar-2017] Showing there were error during setup ERPNext

One more: Setup Wizard : Error

Maybe related to Travis CI - Test and Deploy Your Code with Confidence