Difference between development mode and production mode

I am beginner in using ERPNEXT. I have a question, what is the difference between development mode and production mode? do both of them can run in internet browser (localhost:8080)? i tried to run them in internet browser but only production mode run. how can i run the development mode? another question is that: is ERPNEXT completely open source? can i access to the the whole source of it? for example can i translate its menus to another language?
very Thanks.

in development mode installation frappe and erpnext apps are pulled from develop branch which is less stable.
while production mode installation frappe and erpnext apps are pull from the master branch

please visit GitHub - frappe/frappe: Low code web framework for real world applications, in Python and Javascript & GitHub - frappe/erpnext: Free and Open Source Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)

1 Like

I have read somewhere in this forum that you can only make new doctypes in dev mode.
You can customise exisisting doctypes in prod mode though.

see
https://discuss.frappe.io/t/difference-between-production-and-developer-mode/6409/2

1 Like

This is incorrect. “master” branch is obsolete. So its never used.

[If possible to edit your response, please correct]

Development: Use default “develop” branch for erpnext installation

bench init frappe-bench-name
bench get-app erpnext

Production: Use latest/any stable branch for erpnext installation with option “–branch StableBranch”

bench init --frappe-branch version-12 frappe-bench-name
bench get-app --branch version-12 erpnext

Yes master banch seems to be no more used. develop branch is very active, and mostly tag rely on real version.
I think the point is more about :
bench --site {yoursite} set-config developer_mode 1
It only change date into {bench_directory}/sites/{yoursite}/site_config.json by adding “developer_mode”: 1.
It allow you to update Doctype into action menu “Edit DocType” and I guess less cached data, because in developpers mode you need to see update in real time.
By exemple in ERPNextApp you can customize doctype without enabled developper mode.