Help Needed: Country wise Chart of Accounts

The country-wise chart-of-accounts has been bootstrapped from a popular open source erp odoo (formerly openerp). In odoo, the charts were in xml or csv file format. But the major problem was, the charts were not visible in tree structure. We have converted them into json format, for better readability and to view them in tree structure.

File Location

https://github.com/frappe/erpnext/tree/v5.0/erpnext/accounts/doctype/account/chart_of_accounts/

JSON File Structure

{
    "country_code": "in",
    "name": "Indian Chart of Accounts",
    "is_active": "Yes",
    "tree": {
        "Assets": {
            "Current Assets": {
                "Accounts Receivable": {
                    "Debtors": {
                        "account_type": "Receivable"
                    }
                },
                "Inventories": {
                    "account_type": "Stock",
                },
                "Cash In Hand": {
                    "Cash Account": {
                        "account_type": "Cash"
                    }
                },
                "Bank Accounts": {},
            },
            "root_type": "Asset"
        },
        "Liabilities": {
            "Current Liabilities": {
                "Accounts Payable": {
                    "Creditors": {
                        "account_type": "Payable"
                    }
                }
            },
            "root_type": "Liability"
        },
        "Expense": {
            "Cost of Goods Sold": {
                "account_type": "Cost of Goods Sold"
            }
            "root_type": "Expense"
        },
        "Income": {
            "root_type": "Income"
        }
    }
}

After getting the tree, the major hurdle was to assign different properties (like root_type, account_type, group_or_ledger etc) for those accounts. The file contents are in the local language of that country. We have tried our best to read those using translate.google.com and assign multiple properties. We have finalized charts for some countries, but still there are many pending charts to finalize.

Hence, we decided to hand-over the task to the communities. Actually we realized that it is the perfect way of working for such cases. You have better knowledge for your country-specific charts and proficiency in your native language.

Guidelines for contribution:

Please go to the above link and find the file for your country’s chart of accounts. You can help us to assign different kind of properties for the accounts.

1. If you are a developer, you can directly make the changes in json and send pull request.

2. If you are non-developer, you can mail us the changes at developers@erpnext.com in the format below:

"account_name": { "property_1": "value1", "property_2": "value2" }

Properties

• root_type: Asset, Liability, Expense, Income, Equity
    It is applicable only for root account groups and is mandatory for all roots.
  • account_type:: Receivable, Payable, Cost of Goods Sold, Stock, Bank, Cash
    It is used to identify the type of a account. For example, the group under which warehouse account will be created, should be assigned as “Stock”
  • group_or_ledger: Group, Ledger
    Used to identify account is a group or ledger (leaf node). Assign Group if there are no child for a account but it’s a group. For example, “Bank Accounts” in the above chart.

Creating the specific charts of accounts as shown above:

1. Is it possible to specify the tax rate for tax accounts?
  2. Is sorting of accounts automatic or can it be defined somehow?

Yes, why not? Require small changes in https://github.com/frappe/erpnext/blob/v5.0/erpnext/accounts/doctype/account/chart_of_accounts/chart_of_accounts.py#L39, add another line: "tax_rate": children.get("tax_rate")

Sorting is automatic for now, did not implement the “series/code” concept.

Hi, I have a question.

The compatibility of my companies want to keep their account chart as much as possible.

So I was wondering if instead of using the default country chart, would it be possible to replace it with an another json file before the installation. An if so is their some specification we need to keep in other for it to work?

Thank you.

Yes, you can include your own chart in json format. While making don’t forget to mention country_code, is_active property. And in tree, you have to mention atleast root_type for each root. Other property can be mentioned later as well, from inside the application.

For which country you want to replace the chart? Is the existing chart is not good enough for your country? You can also directly make changes in the existing chart and send a pull request to us?

It’s for Canada in french. My company already have a very detail chart, so to ease up the transition we would like to keep it.

As for your other question, the existing chart look alright, but I’m not working in accounting so I can’t say for sure.

We’re still in the exploring phase with ERPNext but it look like a VERY promising ERP. And I soon as we begin to personalize it more (especially for Service type company), we will be happy to contribute by sending the change back to you!

Thank you for your swift response.

Well the reason I was asking you that is that we have 8 group at root level (you got only 4) and we cannot add them via ERP Next interface. Is their a way to work around that?

Thank you

In version 5, you can add multiple roots (>4), but you have to mention the root_type for them. root_type is only limited to set of 5 (Asset, Liability, Expense, Income, Equity).

If you are getting any specific validation, please mention that.

And we can make these change via UI or the import tool in ERP Next5?

I think it is possible via Import Tool, not from UI.

It’s don’t seem possible via the Import Tool. Should I simply by pass ERP Next and add them in the DB directly?

Or via webservice interface?

Yes, you have to ignore mandatory validation for root accounts.

Ok, finally I’ve create my own json file and it work. But the end of the line code must absolutely be in linux format (Lf) and not in windows format (Cr + Lf). It took me a while to find it!

Thank you for your help nabinhait!

Wow! congrats :smile:

Hello all

Could you please add for Japan Chart of Account
https://www.odoo.com/apps/modules/7.0/l10n_jp/

Or advise the best way to do so.

Kind regards

Am I in time to improve the Chart of Account for Nicaragua?

@williamjmorenor Sure, please provide the Chart of Account for Nicaragua in prescribed json format.

@rydersaint It will best if you make the chart in json format. Otherwise, we have to convert it from odoo using some script, but as we don’t understand Japanese, it might be not that correct.

Thank you Nabinhalt for your advise

I am sure I can get together the json file for you.
The Japanese tax department has some good samples.
I will paste it here once it is completed

Thank you
Kind regards
Ryder